Recall! UPDATED as of June 2015 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: The General
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse GT
Dead Capricorn is on a distinguished road
Recall! UPDATED as of June 2015

The following link has updated info on recalls....

Mitsubishi Recalls 535,000 Cars For Sun Visor and Brake Problems | CarComplaints.com

For the 3g, to those of you who didn't get killed or maimed by your visor, get that tether added on @ dealerships expense.

The 4g 06-09 apparently have a ABS problem where one of the components can rust resulting in loss of braking power....

Here is whats found in the link, if it ever died, the info will live on:

June 26, 2015 Mitsubishi is recalling about 535,000 vehicles in two separate recalls, one involving sun visor problems and the other recall ordered to fix problems with the anti-lock brake system.

Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Stratus

About 460,000 model year 2000-2005 Eclipse, 2001-2005 Eclipse Spyder, 2001-2005 Chrysler Sebring and 2001-2005 Dodge Stratus vehicles need a tether strap to retain the passenger sun visor.

Mitsubishi says the passenger-side sun visor may be folded down in such a position that if the front airbag deploys, the sun visor can detach. The sun visor flying around inside a vehicle has the possibility of harming occupants.

Mitsubishi says the recalled cars were manufactured during these dates:

2000-2005 Eclipse: Manufactured April 5, 1999, to December 17, 2004.
2001-2005 Eclipse Spyder: Built January 19, 2000, to March 18, 2005.
2001-2005 Chrysler Sebring: Manufactured April 17, 2000, to February 21, 2005.
2001-2005 Dodge Stratus: Built April 17, 2000, to February 22, 2005.
Mitsubishi doesn't know when the sun visor recall will begin. Once it does, dealers will install a tether strap on the passenger sun visor.

Mitsubishi hasn't released additional details, but with questions or comments, call the automaker at 888-648-7820. Chrysler/Dodge owners can call 800-853-1403.

Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder

Another 75,000 Mitsubishi cars are recalled to repair problems with the anti-lock brake systems. The cars are the 2006-2009 Eclipse and the 2007-2009 Eclipse Spyder.

Mitsubishi says corrosion inside the anti-lock brake system can cause the internal valves to seize. If even one valve malfunctions, the brake pedal could go to the floor and braking performance will be diminished, at least if the anti-lock brake system is involved.

The recalled Eclipse cars were built April 20, 2005, to February 13, 2009, and the Eclipse Spyder cars were manufactured December 23, 2005, to February 13, 2009.

Mitsubishi doesn't know when the Eclipse recall will begin. Dealers have been told to inspect, flush and clean the anti-lock brake system hydraulic unit by using a high-grade brake fluid. However, the anti-lock brake system will be replaced if the inspection shows a possibility the valves might seize.

Owners of the 2006-2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse and the 2007-2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder can contact the automaker at 888-648-7820 and refer to recall number SR-15-004.

*End of Notes*
Dead Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
Thank you Cap!!

The Eclipse is no fun without brakes!!

This might be responsible for a couple recent problems with brakes that a couple members have posted recently.

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Great info here thanks! I'll have to look into this sooner than later. Not sure what my car's manufactured date was...

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 29th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

No problem. If i can help the community back i will. I've been helped by people countless times and appreciate it.
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Michael
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
eosrebel has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsoccer09 View Post
Great info here thanks! I'll have to look into this sooner than later. Not sure what my car's manufactured date was...
Your car, like mine, is most likely involved with this as well. On the inside jamb of the drivers door is a white sticker called a build plate that will have your VIN and a bunch of other info. On the top right corner of it will have the build date for your car in "Month Year" format.
eosrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 06 eclipse
Flaboy806 will become famous soon enough
Great info I'll have to look into it as I have an 06 gs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Flaboy806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Worries

tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosrebel View Post
Your car, like mine, is most likely involved with this as well. On the inside jamb of the drivers door is a white sticker called a build plate that will have your VIN and a bunch of other info. On the top right corner of it will have the build date for your car in "Month Year" format.
Gracias! I'll be sure to check for that after work!

Old June 30th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
No Worries

Well fantastic. My car's manufactured date is February 2009. It doesn't have a specific day listed on it but I'm going to assume that I'm affected by the ABS problem.

Unfortunately I don't trust my Mitsu dealership to take care of this problem...or even properly inspect it...

Old June 30th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Michael
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
eosrebel has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately it'll be awhile before they'll be able to even address it. I called my dealer about it yesterday and it isn't even listed as an open recall in the system yet nor do they have parts for it and wondered how I had heard about it in the first place.
eosrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Awesome!!!!! I actually had a accident because of this shit, and had to pay out of pocket because of it, just called Mitsubishi and they said the recall hasn't been fully issued yet, but they will call me when it is, they will pick my car up and give me a rental car till it's fixed. All free of charge
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Adam
Vehicle: 07 Mitsubishi Eclipse SE
Lexicom is on a distinguished road
Finally, I've been having this issue alot.
Lexicom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosrebel View Post
Unfortunately it'll be awhile before they'll be able to even address it. I called my dealer about it yesterday and it isn't even listed as an open recall in the system yet nor do they have parts for it and wondered how I had heard about it in the first place.
Did you tell them Club 4G has big ears in Headquarter, and even longer arms!!

You'll never know when a Club 4G Member will visit your Dealership, LOL!!

Now they'll think you work for headquarter, and won't screw with you, LOL!!

Old July 24th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to all
I got my 1st notice in the mail today. (7-24-15)
It says I'll get another letter when the parts are available.
heres the letter.

heres the link to the pic, if anyone wants it...

http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/ry...zyult.jpg.html

Last edited by ryguy; July 24th, 2015 at 08:35 PM.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: Eclipse GS 5 Speed
nokiauser is a jewel in the roughnokiauser is a jewel in the rough
So if the ABS fails, the brakes should still work according to that note. Although braking in winter time will be interesting without ABS.
RRE/RRM Underdrive, Fujita F5 Wrinkle Black CAI, Throttle Bypass, GT Throttle body, Outlaw TB Spacer, Ripp Mods LT Headers, Magnaflow Performance Cat, Fully Custom 2.5" Exhaust Piping, RRE Magnaflow Muffler, Eibach ProKit Springs, Progress 24mm Rear Anti-Sway, GT End Links, Tanabe TSB, GT Tower Brace, Brembo Brake Kit w/ Stoptech Pads
nokiauser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
No Worries

Yeap got my letter on Friday too. Glad Mitsu is owning up to this and making it right.

Old July 27th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Did you hear about the Chrysler RECALL today!!! They have to buy back over 1 million vehicles to remove them off the streets!!

Old July 27th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
No Worries

Yeah that's what makes me even more thankful that Mitsu is owning up to this. Chrysler/Fiat dishing out like 105 million big ones for this.

Old July 27th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Gamer

cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Holy crap, I didn't hear about the Chrysler recall, is it about the online hacking they did to the Jeep?
Old July 27th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
No Worries

^It's actually unrelated to that. Double wammy.

Old July 27th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
So just to understand this, does the ABS fail? Or power brakes as a whole? None of my previous cars had ABS and I've learned how to react to lock-ups, especially during winter driving, so the thought that I've lost ABS doesn't scare me as much. If it's a loss of power brakes altogether, this is a more serious problem.

In any case, are Canadian vehicles subject to this same recall?
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsoccer09 View Post
^It's actually unrelated to that. Double wammy.
That sucks
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
So just to understand this, does the ABS fail? Or power brakes as a whole? None of my previous cars had ABS and I've learned how to react to lock-ups, especially during winter driving, so the thought that I've lost ABS doesn't scare me as much. If it's a loss of power brakes altogether, this is a more serious problem.

In any case, are Canadian vehicles subject to this same recall?
Let me put it this way, because it's happened to me several times,

You will be driving and let's say something pulls out in front of you...
You hit the brakes, and car slows down just a tad, and the brakes sink all the way to the floor and you don't stop, very scary when it happens,

Only way I've found to do a quick fix is to pump the brakes with car on and off after it happens
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
It's almost as if you have excessive air in the lines or little to no fluid at all. Yes, that is a serious concern. I've got an '07 GT and thankfully have never experienced this (knock on wood). I'll have to call up Mitsubishi and ask them about it.
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Anthony
Vehicle: 2009 Mitsubishi GS
Antlop0150 is on a distinguished road
Should I go back to the dealership I bought my eclipse from for should I talk to someone from the Mitsubishi car lot?
Antlop0150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlop0150 View Post
Should I go back to the dealership I bought my eclipse from for should I talk to someone from the Mitsubishi car lot?
You can call if you want... theyll tell you if it applies to your car or not.
but there just gonna tell you to wait... if your eligible...
the parts are not in yet...(prob a couple months)

I think you can check your cars manufactured date.(its on your door sill)

or wait for a letter in the mail.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Name: Anthony
Vehicle: 2009 Mitsubishi GS
Antlop0150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlop0150 View Post
You can call if you want... theyll tell you if it applies to your car or not.
but there just gonna tell you to wait... if your eligible...
the parts are not in yet...(prob a couple months)

I think you can check your cars manufactured date.(its on your door sill)

or wait for a letter in the mail.
Alright, thanks!
Antlop0150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #27 (permalink)

Name: gsjdrr
Vehicle: 2007/Ecclipse/SE
gsjdrr is on a distinguished road
Hello Guys,

As most of you experienced, I have been going through this brakes problem from a very long time. The last time I had this problem was in 2012 and dealer replaced the entire system (ABS/master cylinder/flush..etc ..not a car guy so don't know many technical details) i believe. The problem reoccurred and its absolutely in un-drivable state. I had to literally pump the brakes at least a minute before I really want to. I could not control my joy after I saw the recall letter in my mail box. Went to dealer although they don't have a full solution and he graciously accepted my car and started working with Mitsubishi N.A. He offered me a free loaner too. Here is the final twist. I got a call today and I was told, master cylinder and brake boosters have to be replaced as well to completely fix the problem and it will be customer's responsibility and I have to pay ~$700. So, my Q is, should the recall take care of this charges too or will it be customer's responsibility.

Appreciate your inputs!!

Ecclipse/2007/SE
gsjdrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
It's almost as if you have excessive air in the lines or little to no fluid at all. Yes, that is a serious concern. I've got an '07 GT and thankfully have never experienced this (knock on wood). I'll have to call up Mitsubishi and ask them about it.
I've had my brakes flushed and they are full, it's the ABS pump that's bad
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjdrr View Post
Hello Guys,

As most of you experienced, I have been going through this brakes problem from a very long time. The last time I had this problem was in 2012 and dealer replaced the entire system (ABS/master cylinder/flush..etc ..not a car guy so don't know many technical details) i believe. The problem reoccurred and its absolutely in un-drivable state. I had to literally pump the brakes at least a minute before I really want to. I could not control my joy after I saw the recall letter in my mail box. Went to dealer although they don't have a full solution and he graciously accepted my car and started working with Mitsubishi N.A. He offered me a free loaner too. Here is the final twist. I got a call today and I was told, master cylinder and brake boosters have to be replaced as well to completely fix the problem and it will be customer's responsibility and I have to pay ~$700. So, my Q is, should the recall take care of this charges too or will it be customer's responsibility.

Appreciate your inputs!!

Ecclipse/2007/SE
I would wait for the recall to be ready, and have them replace just the ABS pump, because that is what the problem is
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #30 (permalink)

Thank you cmturner. Dumb Q, so the master cylinder has nothing to do with brake system? The dealer said, he spoke to Mitsubishi North America head quarters and they are planning to increase urgency/severity of this problem from L to M or whatever. He feels, they have a clear indication of what needs to be done and unfortunately w/out fixing master cylinder and brake booster this problem will persist. I am in a dilemma on whether to proceed or back off. My car is at the dealer and driving back home 40miles on the same scary car is a nightmare!! I spoke to Mitsubishi help desk as well and as expected, they are not of much help and insisted I change everything as dealer suggested and have to bear some charges!!!
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
No Worries

^I'd just rock the loaner as long as you can. The recall will be free to us but if you go ahead and replace everything now, you might not get the updated post-recall parts. Or worse, they might not reimburse you.

The master cylinder is what gives you hydraulic brakes btw.

Old August 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #32 (permalink)

Yeah, I think it's just a bad timing for me. Just spoke to the dealer and he enlightened me a bit once more . Basically, master cylinder is leaking and causing the brake boosters to contaminate or what ever, so following is what they are planning to do.

1. Replace master cylinder
2. Replace brake boosters
3. Road tests
4. if the problem persists after #3 then Mitsubishi will give a GO-AHEAD to work on the recall procedures, which is
5. flush the lines 60 times and then perform the road tests
6. if the problem persists after #5 then replace ABS hydraulic. 5 & 6 are free of charge and it will not wait for official notice as per Mitsubishi, meaning all the steps will be performed in the order continuously until the issue is fully resolved.

If after #3, the issue is (temporarily) resolved then I can bring the car back to dealer again after Mitsubishi sends an official repair notice to all the customers.

What a story and I hate this vehicle from the bottom of my heart!! What a mess. Car w/out decent brakes are literally not fun.
Old August 30th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #33 (permalink)

Hope your issue gets fixed. If a recall gets posted up then its the manufacturer /dealership that fixes it as its their baby and you don't pay a. Cent. Its on their dime.

Dealerships are sneaky as in if u don't know that a certain system is busted or needs replacing they wont take the initiative amdclet you know.... Its only your life, you know?
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #34 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
dsm_mayhem91 is on a distinguished road
My car dose that in the winter. It's horrible I stopped driving it last winter because I almost went through two different intersections. I had absolutely no brakes at all. I know what abs is supposed to feel like and that's not it. Lol
dsm_mayhem91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #35 (permalink)

2 Highscores

Vehicle: 2007 Mitsu Eclipse SE
EclipseMua507 will become famous soon enough
I am actuallly taking my car in for this recall sometime this week. i have had a squishy pedal for almost a year now. done multiple fluid bleeds, had master cylinder replaced, and car inspected multiple times. and that was all before this recall was even drafted.
EclipseMua507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

bcos is on a distinguished road
I already have the ABS replaced before the recall... Have anyone successfully gotten a reimbursement check?

They want to me go in to have my ABS clear... Is it even safe to do that? What I mean is, if they cleared my ABS are they try to not pay me after?

I hate that dealership so much after they have ripped me off and I don't want to ever go back.
bcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcos View Post
I already have the ABS replaced before the recall... Have anyone successfully gotten a reimbursement check?

They want to me go in to have my ABS clear... Is it even safe to do that? What I mean is, if they cleared my ABS are they try to not pay me after?

I hate that dealership so much after they have ripped me off and I don't want to ever go back.
First I would call Mitsubishi Headquarters to find out how to be reimbursed.
Second, I would go in for the check-up. Just because the ABS was replaced,
doesn't mean they put a good unit in for a replacement!!

Old September 17th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #38 (permalink)

bcos is on a distinguished road
I got off the phone with them and also the National Highway Traffic Safely Administration because Mitsubishi refused to reimburse me. If you already have the ABS fixed but they said they still want you to go to the dealership to look at... DON'T DO IT. NHTSA said do not do that, it's not normal. They advise me to contact the state of attorney general office. Keep you guys posted...
bcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Gamer

Wow sorry to hear that bcos
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #40 (permalink)

2 Highscores

Vehicle: 2007 Mitsu Eclipse SE
EclipseMua507 will become famous soon enough
My appointment for the ABS recall is scheduled for the 5th of October. hope all goes well as i already had the master cylinder replaced over a year ago and it still has the green light.
EclipseMua507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, abs, airbag, brake, cars, eclipse, fix, fluid, flush, install, lock, loss, mitsubishi, owners, pedal, performance, power, problems, questions, spyder, system, uni

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.