Transmission Issues (limp mode? sensor? random thing?) - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2015, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Xerin
Vehicle: 2006 / GT / Sport
Xerin is on a distinguished road
Transmission Issues (limp mode? sensor? random thing?)

Hi all,

I have a 2006 GT. I was pulling out from a red light (on a steep hill) when I noticed the car wasn't shifting, so I pulled off to the side of the road and put it in neutral and back into drive and nothing occurred. I then put the car into park, turned it off, cranked it back on, and then the transmission was totally fine, shifting as smooth as ever.

However, the display no longer showed drive but instead it simply showed the gears and showed it shifting through them. It would start at 1st, shift quickly to 2nd, then 3rd. If I accelerated it then shifted to 4th for awhile and then 5th. When I stopped, it'd shift down into 3rd, then down into 1st. I was able to get home without any issue.

When I shift in reverse, the car normally jumps a bit, but I was told that was the motor mount. When I got home, I put it into reverse and it jumped what felt like a bit more, but I was also having a panic attack. I went and shifted it around again recently and it seems fine.

I went and let it cool down, it shifts back into drive, but then randomly switched over into sport mode. It feels almost as if the transmissions flips over to sport mode for some reason. It can go up to 5th gear and I don't feel any weirdness in shifting outside of the one time it felt like it wouldn't shift up for some reason at the start of this.

I guess my question is, is there any harm in driving it? I'm thinking it's probably something that could be fixed by removing the battery for a bit, but I also don't want to cause more issues. There is no check engine light and nothing displayed on the radio display.

I tried searching for the answer, but all I found was limp mode, but limp mode seems to stay in 3rd gear. The car is shifting gears just fine. I checked the fluid while the engine was hot (ow ow ow), and it was near the line, with a smear running from the line down a little bit.

Last edited by Xerin; September 3rd, 2015 at 04:43 PM.
Xerin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I called dealerships who said if it's shifting it's shifting. I drove it this morning and could shift manually if it got stuck in sport mode. I cut the lights off and automatic started working perfectly so I assume this is some really weird electronic glitch if the lights can put the car in sport mode. Any clue where to start? Literally if I cut the lights off it shows drive and shifts like normal. If I cut them off it shows the gear and will shift sometimes or sometimes act like it's in sport mode.

Last edited by Xerin; September 4th, 2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old September 5th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
I have some good news and some bad news for you. The good news, this is a first for the sportronic transmission. The bad news it needs to be fixed before it gets worse.

Limp Mode. When our car goes into limp mode, it normally means there is something wrong with the engine, or one of the engine sensors. Limp mode is designed to prevent further major damage happening to the engine, but also gives you the ability to drive your car to a service station. However this is not the problem you are having.

Not all Codes/DTC will cause the Check Engine Light (SES) to come on. So you need to have your OBDII read for any Codes/DTC. If you have any codes, please right them down and post them online for us to see. Without any codes it will make t-shooting this problem more complicated.

I'll have to do some reading on this problem, so here is the Link to the Eclipse Factory Service Manual if you wish to help.

2006 Eclipse Factory Service Manual | Tearstone

GROUP 23A AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...004100-23A.pdf

GROUP 23C AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE OVERHAUL F5A5A>
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...004300-23C.pdf

I'm not finding anything in the manual about this type problem. If you don't have any codes/DTC you might be looking at a wiring problem (SWS).

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Last edited by Clovisman; September 5th, 2015 at 01:37 AM.
Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 5th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks! I'll get the codes pulled tomorrow. I drove it a small amount and as long as the lights are off, there is literally nothing wrong with the car. When the lights come on, Drive shows the gear its in, and it might sometimes kick into sport mode (manual shifting) but cutting the lights off makes it work just fine.

Really, really weird.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
This is beginning to look more like and electrical problem. We'll see...

Old September 10th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pulled the codes at two different locations, showed nothing. Car runs amazingly fine with the lights off. If you cut them on, after a random time, D will turn into the gear that it's currently in. From there, it could randomly decide it's in sport mode and you have to shift it manually. Turning the lights off instantly returns the car to it's perfect point.

Where would the light switch / lights meet the transmission?
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

We have several on-board computers on our car. These computers monitors system equipment by resistance and can/will shut down systems if it feels there is something wrong with that system/equipment.

The first thing we need to know if you taped into any wire/s or electrical harness/es. I.E. If you taped into a wire for a aftermarket stereo, LED Lighting, hard wiring a GPS, radar detector, added any aftermarket headlights, or taillight. Did you do any work electrical or otherwise under the dash, or engine bay. Maybe some cleaning around the steering wheel, or gearshift. Dropped something in or around the gearshift or steering wheel. Anything electrical??

There are a couple switches inside the gear lever selector (Gearshift). If, if any of those switches are bad, not saying they are, there are no replaceable parts in the gearshift, so the whole shift lever assembly will have to be replaced... around $500.

I've seen were people have tried to dust between the steering wheel column and the steering wheel, and ruin the clock spring assembly. Or your clock spring assembly might have gone bad.

I'm just trying to throw some things out there that might have caused this problem to help t-shoot this problem. But this is beginning to sound more electrical then a mechanical problem with the transmission, or cable problem.

Could even be a broken ground wire, or where you added a ground wire for a modification??

Just to give you an idea how particular our electrical system is... If you install aftermarket tail lights without adding a load resistor, any or all the following might happen; interior lights will stop working, cruse control will stop working, and/or certain dash lights will stop working. So what would the taillights and cruse control have in common you might ask... The ECU that controls and monitors those systems/equipment. The ECU sees a resistance change and acts accordingly. It sees a resistance change in the taillights and starts to shut-down other systems to protect them, before even blowing a fuse.

Last edited by Clovisman; September 10th, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

There are only a few small modifications to the vehicle. Four years ago, I had an antenna pass-through installed for an AUX port that's under the arm rest. You know the one that connects to the incoming antenna and you flip a switch between aux / FM. Three years ago I had the negative battery terminal replaced, it's properly grounded and installed, and on tight and a new condenser installed. I was rear-ended and had a new rear bumper installed. About a month and a half ago I installed a new headlight, using the standard one that goes into the car, along with two new front tires and an oil change.

Beyond that, I don't think I've spilled anything super recently into the gearshift. I might have spilled something at some point, but I wouldn't remember it.

I'd like to try to figure out a reasonable way to figure out what's wrong, because I don't want to play let's replace a billion parts with a mechanic, especially with something as random as "turn the lights on and your car might got into sport mode." Windshield wipers don't do it, only the lights. One odd thing about the lights, which I thought was normal, is if I have ever turned them on, the gear display turns really dim, while the rest of the dash brightens up. I figured that was on purpose, though.
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

GROUP 54A CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...002100-54A.pdf
COLUMN SWITCH REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION PAGE 54A-149
ETACS-ECU REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION PAGE 54A-51
COMBINATION METER ASSEMBLY PAGE 54A-52

GROUP 54B SIMPLIFIED WIRING SYSTEM (SWS)
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...002200-54B.pdf

GROUP 54C CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN)
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...002300-54C.pdf

GROUP 80A CONFIGURATION DIAGRAMS
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...000200-80A.pdf

GROUP 80B SPLICE LOCATIONS
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...000300-80B.pdf

GROUP 90 CIRCUIT DIAGRAMS
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...0000400-90.pdf
HEADLIGHT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90-106
CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) 3.8L ENGINE-A/T> . . . . . . . . 90-408
METER AND GAUGE A/T> . . . . . . . 90-154

Tags
06 gt, 2006, art, back, battery, car, display, drive, engine, fluid, hot, issue, issues, king, light, motor, mount, question, random, red, road, sensor, sportronic, start, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.