HOW TO: Plasti-Dip Front Bumper / Rally Art Look! - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Show Tech

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2012 Lancer Ralliart
deprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to behold
HOW TO: Plasti-Dip Front Bumper / Rally Art Look!

COST: Plasti-Dip - 7$
Easy Remove Painters Tape - 6$
Razor blade - 1-3$
TOTAL: 14-16$

Why?: You get the Ralliart bumper look without going to Mitsubishi and buying the 175$ RA bumper + cost to paint and time to install. It's a cheap modification that has turned alot of heads on the car.

Step 1: Go to Home Depot/Lowes/Auto part store and buy yourself a can of Plasti-Dip spray can, roll of easy remove painters tape, and a good sharp razor blade.

Step 2: (Optional) Because I'm lowered I chose to jack my car up and work off a rolling chair. Makes things a bit easier to tape off and remove the tape and everything once you get it all done.

Step 3: Begin taping off everything with the blue painters tape. Make sure you get pretty precise on your triple diamond and get some old newspaper or sale papers to stuff in the front end and cover the top of your radiator for overspray. If you're sloppy with spray cans or don't feel comfortable with it, make sure you cover more of the bumper area around the painting area. You can tape some newspaper or cut some trash bags or something to cover your headlights/foglights or bumper.

OPTIONAL: You can scuff up the paint or clear coat on the part you're going to paint for a more permanent or better adhesion. I chose not to do this in case I get tired of it and feel like pulling the dip off. Remember if you do scuff up the clear coat with some light grit sand paper that if you pull the dip off you'll be left with a section of bumper without any clear on it.

Step 4: After everything is taped off and you're ready to paint make sure everything is clean. I took some mild wash soap and wiped down the area really good that I was going to Plasti-Dip. After the soap I used some of the Meguiars Quick Detailer and went over to make sure it was absolutely clean.

Step 5: Shake the can for a good minute and begin spraying in an even back and forth motion being careful not to overspray onto the area you don't want black. Once you get a good coat of it, stop and smoke a cig, drink a beer...do something to let it get mostly dry.

Step 6: Shake the can for another good minute and spray another good coat on it until it's nice and shiny then let dry again.

Step 7: Shake the can up again and spray on a thin coat just to cover any blemishes or anything from the drying.

Step 8: Wait for everything to get real nice and dry and get that razor blade out.

Step 9: Take the razor blade real lightly and cut on the edge of the tape just hard enough to get through the Plasti-Dip but not cut the shit out of your bumper. Peel the tape slowly so you don't peel up the Plasti-Dip and use the razor blade as needed to touch up your lines as you pull the tape. When you finish, it should look something like....

WARNING: The Plasti-Dip WILL PEEL VERY EASILY. That is the wonderful part about this. If you don't like it or feel like you don't want it anymore it will peel right off and leave no residue.

Now, you could probably use a gloss black paint on this but I would definitely scuff up the clear coat some to help the paint stick better.

TECH TIP: If you want this part to be shiny instead of the flat rubber looking black you can spray some tire wet on there and make sure you get it nice and even. It'll wash right back off if you want to go back to the matte look.
Current Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP| Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by ME! | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Can | Agency Power 3" DP | Avid1 18x9 +35 | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated TP | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2/ZR-2 AFR+Boost |

Last edited by deprydation; February 28th, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
deprydation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Cesar
Vehicle: 2008 Generic Veyron
gspower is a jewel in the roughgspower is a jewel in the rough
dont we already have a how-to?
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

deprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to behold
Couldn't find one anywhere. That's why I've got this going up.
Current Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP| Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by ME! | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Can | Agency Power 3" DP | Avid1 18x9 +35 | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated TP | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2/ZR-2 AFR+Boost |
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
iLay Pipe

Name: Sporty's Biological Father
Vehicle: 1918 Packard
ryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond repute
good job
but for anyone doing this I would cover more than the area portrayed. easier to prevent overspray.

If you have the stock fender gap DONT TALK TO ME.
ryanastyG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Amarillo 4g

Name: Dustin
DustinH is just really niceDustinH is just really niceDustinH is just really nice

If i did it like that with just the tape id have some killer overspray
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Just be more careful with the spray pattern....

Old December 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
Looks really good!! You said it will peel-off real easy, so how does it hold up to car washes and car wash spry guns??
2007 Eclipse GT=Sunset=Auto--20% Tint=Injen CAI=RIPP Long Tube Headers (Jet-Hot Coated)=RIPP High Flow Cat=RIPP BRAT Box=Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust=Energy Motor Mounts=Ingalls Stiffy=Megan Coilover Suspension=Progress Rear Sway Bar=SP Performance Diamond Cut & Slotted Rotors=EBC Yellow Stuff Kevlar Pads=Diamond Lower Grill=Konig Illusion Wheels=BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport Tires
Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

you should have sanded that clear coat man, it would have given you a better adhesion of the new paint
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
iLay Pipe

Name: Sporty's Biological Father
Vehicle: 1918 Packard
ryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond reputeryanastyG4 has a reputation beyond repute
^^the point is if you dont like it the plasti comes off. then youre screwed with a center with no clear on it.

but always properly cover areas that are being painted.
could easily slip newspaper or a cut up plastic bag under the outter edges of the tape to cover the rest of the bumper/headlights/etc

If you have the stock fender gap DONT TALK TO ME.
ryanastyG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovisman View Post
Looks really good!! You said it will peel-off real easy, so how does it hold up to car washes and car wash spry guns??
I've used my 1800 PSI power sprayer on it lightly and it holds up. The main worry is right after you spray it on that it'll peel SUPER easy. Once it "cures" on there you shouldn't have any issues with any peeling unless you either hit something or purposely start peeling on your seams. One of the ways that I've heard of a couple people doing to clean up your seams if you're not good with a razor blade is to take some thin black pin striping and line your seams with it to clean up any edges. Personally I used an Xacto knife so it was pretty easy.
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Miembro

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GS
TyEclipse has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspower View Post
you should have sanded that clear coat man, it would have given you a better adhesion of the new paint
Maybe the method on this how-to is for the ones that aren't sure of what they want at the end of the week (like me), and want to have the factory finish when they peel the Plasti-Dip.
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

^^ I understand now, i didnt know thats the purpose of plasti dip.
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Miembro

I forgot... It looks great! I want mine!
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

Name: BJ
Vehicle: 2008 SE-X
Sin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to all
Like it!

So it wont't harm the bumper eh? Sweet.

Only question is that if it is made to come off at will, will roadway debris jack it up (rocks and shit)? I mean it is the front most part of the car and it wouldn't have anything like a clearcoat on top of it.
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Vehicle: 05 Lancer Evolution
Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
This thing looks awesome, but I have a bad feeling its going to be shredded up after a few highway trips. Who knows maybe it will actually hold up better than paint?
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Ricoswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

Sin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to all
Will, you'll have to give us an after christmas update on how it's holding up. You know, with all the holiday driving and stuff.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

I've been driving on it like it is for about 3 weeks now or so since the SoCal4G Motor 4 Toys event and there's not a nick in it or anything. It's pretty durable stuff, but if you want it gone it'll be gone pretty easy. That was the purpose of spraying on 2 thick layers and 1 thin layer to cover blemishes. I've taken it down some dirt roads and down the busy California freeways. I'll take a pic of it in a bit. Hell it's even raining pretty good right now and it's holding up just fine.

Maybe I should make the HOW TO: Remove Plasti-Dip...
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

you should really do your back bumper too, youll be that much more satisfied

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Queen Goon

Tournaments Won: 3

Name: Lisa
Vehicle: 06/Eclipse GT
Asian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great!

Chaos -
lisa i like your car a lot. Here's why, the black says ill fuck you up if you try to mess with me but the pink accents tells me that you'll cuddle afterwards

-Mods: SRI, Exhaust, Headers, Stiffy, Rear Sway bar, Motor Mount, Reflashed Ecu, Black
-Pink Rims , Spoiler,Painted tail lights, 2% Tint Tein Springs,-
Asian Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Quote:
you should really do your back bumper too, youll be that much more satisfied

Only reason I'm wary about doing the back is because I have the Spyder and you have the Coupe. The Spyder already looks kinda goofy with the top up and I don't wanna make it look worse

By the way, is this actual paint or is it Plasti-Dip?

Last edited by deprydation; December 21st, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Could a MOD move this thread to the "HOW TO" section?
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

Loving this thread!
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Miembro

Such an easy, cheap, beautiful and, best of all, not risky mod! Thanks a lot!
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Brian
Vehicle: 2008 eclipse spyder gt
bwilliams is on a distinguished road
Verry cool !!! I might try that when the warmer weather comes back to Wisconsin.
bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Taranis is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice job with the spraying; looks OEM from the pics and adds a nice contrast.

If you happen to go to those self-serve car wash bays be careful with the high pressure sprayer if it has the warm soap option. The high water pressure plus warm temps peels Plasti Dip off like warm butter (which could be a good thing if that's what you intend at the time anyway). =)
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

Name: Pete
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/Spyder/GS
Pedro is a jewel in the roughPedro is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deprydation View Post
Only reason I'm wary about doing the back is because I have the Spyder and you have the Coupe. The Spyder already looks kinda goofy with the top up and I don't wanna make it look worse

By the way, is this actual paint or is it Plasti-Dip?
Hey Will, the Spyder looks sexy with the top up, it's like a bra just waiting to be slipped off. "don't say the top is down...Say the titties are out!"

http://www.myspace.com/socal4g
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Name: Shane
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/Gs
haladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to behold
i did this to mine, as pictured but i peeled it off when i got my cf hood
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:37 PM   #28 (permalink)

haladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to behold
and its on my wheels... i have zero rock chips and it works great against ice snow and salt
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
Bats Eat Fruit

Name: Troy
Vehicle: 2008 Sunset Pearl GS
Matched88 is on a distinguished road
ok my only question would be, do they make different colored plasti dip?
Matched88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Taranis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matched88 View Post
ok my only question would be, do they make different colored plasti dip?
Yes it comes in yellow, white, red, clear, blue and black.

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Bats Eat Fruit

Name: Troy
Vehicle: 2008 Sunset Pearl GS
Matched88 is on a distinguished road
aw, was hoping for more variety, too many random orange eclipse around my area with blackouts, its getting old for me seeing them, might try white on wheels, wish they had more neutral colors
Matched88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

UPDATE: After the holidays and the hellacious rain that all of San Diego just got, the car looks the same as the day it was sprayed on. No nicks, chips, rips, tears, or damage to it.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2007/eclipse/SE
XxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond repute
could you paint over the plasti dip?
azn/cracka goon #1 holla!

Quote:
i see kchu's swag has rubbed off on you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by deprydation View Post
You _REALLY_ don't wanna start that war...

Trust me.

I would retract this statement and go f**k yourself before kchu comes and makes you look and feel like the biggest moron to ever walk this earth.
XxkevinchuxX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxkevinchuxX View Post
could you paint over the plasti dip?
Hope that the answer to that is "Yeah"!

Though, I really don't know why I could celebrate 'cause I haven't found that Plasti-Dip spray anywhere down here...sigh...
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

^^^ Internet homeslice. Ever since God invented it, you can get anything.
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

Any update for us Will?

Still going strong?
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #37 (permalink)

no you cant paint over plasti dip, and i will warn everyone not to try it, my friend tried it out and it doesn't work at all, but the plasti dip is tough stuff, its worked great on my wheels and hasn't chipped once and its been on there since june, even the salt and snow is not effecting it at all, but i peeled my front bumper off, because i got so many bugs splattered on it and eventually after scrubbing it so many times it had a small piece come off and i put on my cf hood so i just removed
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GT V6
07gt is on a distinguished road
Will's car looks great. Went over yesterday to work on my TCL light(see other thread) and it looks just like in the pictures. I'm going to say fuck it and try red for the hell of it since its easy to peel off with no sideaffects. Kinda curious how red would look on the black haha
07gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gt View Post
Will's car looks great. Went over yesterday to work on my TCL light(see other thread) and it looks just like in the pictures. I'm going to say fuck it and try red for the hell of it since its easy to peel off with no sideaffects. Kinda curious how red would look on the black haha
Do it!

We'll be watching!
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gt View Post
i think youde take the cake for being the first person to ever try that
talk about original

Tags
auto, back, black, bumper, car, diamond, flat, foglights, front bumper, good, headlights, how to, install, lowered, matte, mitsubishi, painting, ralliart, rally, remove, sale, top, vhoist, wash, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.