How To Guide Remove Dash Panel - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Show Tech

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Offensive

1 Highscore

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
Phantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant future
Remove Dash Panel

I Did not completely remove mine for this how-to, but hopefully my pictures will be sufficient in helping you understand how this is performed.

Total time: 15-20 mins
Difficulty: 3/10 Its alot more simple once you understand how it is in place.
Purpose for removing: Painting or replacing
Tools Needed: 1 phillips Screwdriver,1 flathead screwdriver or pry bars, 3m heavy duty Double-sided tape or gorilla glue

STEP 1: Radio face plate by pulling it straight towards you

STEP 2: Remove Speedometer Cluster by completely lowering your steering wheel, pulling cluster straight towards you, then disconnecting the clip for the cluster

STEP 3: (not pictured) Remove the 2 vent covers

STEP 4: Pull down on this plastic piece circled

STEP 5: Open glove box and unscrew the 2 circled screws with phillips screw driver and pull down on that plastic bar the screws held up

STEP 6: Proceed to remove the dash panel.

You can start from left to right, top to bottom, or vice versa. This is what you are dealing with under the actual panel

You can see that the panel has its own platform that is seperated and a completely different material from the actual dash itself. Notice that as you pull up on the top portion of the dashpanel and uncover an excess flap thats about an inch long that outlines the top of the panel. this excess needs to be tucked back in between the panel platform and the actual dash when you go to re-install

Now focus your attention to the circle tab to the immediate left of the vent. These are spread out across the platform and these are the only thing securing the panel to the platform other than the 2 dash pieces that you already pulled down. I'll give you a closer look.

This is that circle tab i talked about earlier. its actually a small circular indent in the platform itself

This is what goes into that indent and is what adheres the panel to the platform. When prying the panel away from the platform, be careful not to rip these off. They come will tear if you pull straight up instead of prying as you pull

When you go to replace it. I strongly recommend you start with the top.

I started with the bottom. I secured the tabs tightly in place, used cheap double sided tape for it to stick to the platform, then rolled the top excess flap in place and called it done.

In 100+ degree temperature.. the double sided tape lost its adhesion abilities on the backside of the dash panel and peeled up. And those bottom tabs that i tightly secured... they were pulling the panel down making it difficult for the top excess flap to stay in place, so the end result looked like this.

So to eliminate this..secure the top first. This time around I used 3m tape and velcro so i can take off and replace as needed. If this doesnt work... I will resort to glue which will be a pretty permanent solution.

Once the top is secured, you can replace those bottom plastic panels to secure the bottom flaps of the panels, then replace the screws, cluster, vent covers, and radio face plate.

This was just a quick down and dirty. Next time i completely remove it, I will take better pictures to give you the full effect of it being completely off and of the re-installation

Thanks for viewing. any questions? Post them here.

Follow the official Club4G Instagram at @club4g
Phantom_4G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2006 Honda Civic Si
jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
nice write up man. I've wanted something like this for awhile.
jhun35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
-cruzer-

Name: joeyc
Vehicle: 2006 ECLIPSE GT
JoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to all
E-rep++
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Real men have a STICK!

Name: Chris
Vehicle: '08 Evo X GSR
ChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to all
+ E-rep

Thank you Sir!
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Name: Tanner
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Boatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks man, really helps out.

OBX longtubes, SRI, Helix TB spacer, Stiffy, Flowmaster, RL Cutout,
EVO wing, halo fogs, black projectors, Konig sideways, 09 front end swap, Kicker SS.
Boatright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Offensive

1 Highscore

Phantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant future
For paint.. i used duplcolor grey primer, and rustoluem blue vinyl paint. i higly recommend you go with duplicolor vinyl paint

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Cody
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GS
Cruvolo93 is on a distinguished road
So when you pull the speedometer cluster out can, can I remove the tpms system light bulb through that?
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Offensive

1 Highscore

I never got that crazy far into the breakdown process but my guess is no? just a guess though

Old November 30th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: f
Vehicle: f
stumpy has a spectacular aura about
Maybe is my yr model but to get my gauge cluster out to paint it. I had 2 Phillips screws behind the rubber flap thats in between the gauge and steering.
stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Daniel
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT/SE
dshaff3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
Maybe is my yr model but to get my gauge cluster out to paint it. I had 2 Phillips screws behind the rubber flap thats in between the gauge and steering.
yeah i was trying to remove mine by just pulling it and nope that would not work.
i didn't want to pull too hard and break something.
ill look for the two screws
dshaff3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
ShipyardWelder is a jewel in the roughShipyardWelder is a jewel in the rough
can you pull the dash and still put the cluster back in say if i needed to drive it to work but didnt finish my heater core install?
ShipyardWelder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 25th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Bumping to add some info for future readers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaff3 View Post
yeah i was trying to remove mine by just pulling it and nope that would not work.
i didn't want to pull too hard and break something.
ill look for the two screws
Indeed there are two screws that hold in the gauge cluster, here are some photos (rubber flap circled in red):

20160824_175422.jpg20160824_175430.jpg20160824_175441.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipyardWelder View Post
can you pull the dash and still put the cluster back in say if i needed to drive it to work but didnt finish my heater core install?
The entire dash, including the cluster, can be put back together when the vinyl piece is completely removed. Every piece aside from the vinyl are held in by screws and/or clips and the vinyl is purely decorative.

Tags
abs, back, box, car, dash, dent, head, how to, install, installation, long, lowering, painting, pictures, plate, questions, radio, remove, rip, speedometer, straight, temperature, top, wheel, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.