Replacing Top - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Spyder Specific

Spyder Specific Discussion for those Eclipses that go topless.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT Spyder
Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
Replacing Top

I'm just curious if anyone has replaced their top? If so did you do it yourself or did the dealer do it. I have been wondering how hard it is to actually replace it yourself.

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers
Mdixon23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Spyderman2007

Tournaments Won: 4

Seems like it would be a bitch to do.. hope I never have to.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lurking in the Shadows

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2009 GT Spyder
blackshadoweclipse09 is on a distinguished road
Had the top replaced on my 2g. Looked at doing it myself for all of 5 minutes then came to my senses.
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
I have looked in under the headliner and it just looks like some metal rods. I'm sure the dealer charges out to ass to replace it. I'm sure it is difficult and I did read somewhere that it can me done as long as you have some mechanical ability.

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GT
Blacson30 will become famous soon enough
I've been wondering the same thing man.

I have a little wear rip and it really bothers me. I have other worn spots and I know they are fixing to go soon. I have a 2007 GT and it has that UGLY grey top. I'm saving up for a top replacement (in black) right now. The dealer quoted me around $1200 bucks to replace it. I'm accepting donations via Paypal...lol

One thing is to make sure they do that factory bulletin thing whenever they replace the top. I forget what it's called, but they have to grind down or replace some screws in places so the top doesn't prematurely wear in those spots!! The bulletin is on here in the forums somewhere.

B.
Blacson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the ugly gray top too! It's a pain in the ass to keep clean and I have some worn spots on the back of it. Almost looks like a screw head had been rubbing it at some point. I don't know if it was fixed because I bought it used in August. The previous owner did take very well care of it I want a black top too since my car is black. I have seen some aftermarket tops that seem to be great quality and they only run about 600 for the top but then you're stuck putting it on yourself or finding a shop to do it.

Old December 27th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Kat (Karolyn)
Vehicle: 2011 Spyder GT-P
Ratskat has a spectacular aura about
This all sounds so scary, I hope my top lasts longer then 4 or 5 years (judging by your car being an 07) because replacing the top seems very daunting. Keep us posted on how it goes so I know what to not look forward to
Ratskat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well the top looks fine I don't have any holes or tears in it just a small spot or two that appears a little worn. I really would like a black top cause the gray is a little harder to keep clean.

Old December 27th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ill try to get some pictures of mine in the next few days. I had foot and ankle surgery on the 26th so I'm not doing much walking.

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Ray
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse Spyder GT MT
TotalEclipse07 has a spectacular aura about
Mike,

Are you still under warranty? If so, have the dealer check it and see if it's that premature wear issue. Grey top here too. I got my spyder in 2010 and figured I'd have to replace the top in a year or so because of the wear only in a couple spots (above and to the outside of the rear window). I found out about the service bulletin on this great site and took it in. The dealer covered it. The invoice was almost $2k!!!! WTF

Anyway, it's starting to show signs again. I told the dealer but they won't do anything until it gets bad. My warranty is up 8/2013. Hopefully it will look like shit again by then and they can replace it again for free!!!.. and fix it the right way THIS time...

I also wanted to switch to a black top but the dealer wouldn't do it under the replacement. I kinda like the grey now that I've had is awhile. Makes it stand out. But the wear spots are BS. Good luck!
TotalEclipse07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Those are the same spots that is wearing on mine. I don't think mine is under warranty considering it is a 2007 and I'm the 2nd owner of the car. Seems like if there was a service bulletin they would fix it regardless.

Old December 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

The original warranty was 5 years 60k. It depends on when it was 1st purchased. I'm the second owner but it wasn't sold till '08. Yeah, it's a bunch of crap, the top will look great except for those wear spots. Give it a shot with the dealer...
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Postwhore's Postwhore

10 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 17

Name: Glenn
Vehicle: 2008/GT/Spyder
AiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant future
You can buy the tops from a website.

Black is $1319.42
Grey is $1402.48

Price is high so if you can get the dealer to cover it.....DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
AiRmAn2281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Postwhore's Postwhore

10 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 17

Name: Glenn
Vehicle: 2008/GT/Spyder
AiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant future
Also....I have been thinking about converting mine to a hard top convertible. A white one. There is a shop here I have been working with to get prices on everything I would need.
AiRmAn2281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 07 GT-N Spyder 4.0
executive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to all
I would want a hard top, with like a glass or seethrough part in the middle. Id lose trunk space huh? Or a red soft top with black trim or a black on with red trim. My top needs replacing
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRmAn2281 View Post
Also....I have been thinking about converting mine to a hard top convertible. A white one. There is a shop here I have been working with to get prices on everything I would need.
I miss my hardtop (last car was G6 convertible) but the minus is you will lose your trunk space, what little of it we have lol and more expensive to repair/replace if needed. Also noisy in cooler temparatures as metal on metal clang
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah I have no problem with the soft tops we have. I haven't had any leaking problems and to my surprise the wind noise is pretty low when the top is up.

Old December 29th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 07 GT-N Spyder 4.0
executive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to all
Mine has been leaking since I had it. I took it to the dealer like 5 times but they couldnt stop it.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Hal
Vehicle: 2008/Spyder/GS
Megawatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdixon23 View Post
I'm just curious if anyone has replaced their top? If so did you do it yourself or did the dealer do it. I have been wondering how hard it is to actually replace it yourself.
If you're still considering replacing the top yourself here are a few pages from my '08' factory service manual that may be informative:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3419...m-1-1-meg?da=y
I replaced the top on my '99' Spyder and saved $600.00 in labor. It took me 4 days and it was a royal PIA. The #5 bow actually had to be taken out to staple thebake of the top to it. I bought the top from here: http://www.convertibletopguys.com/si...onvertible-top
If you do decide to do it: have all the tools and supplies needed, lots of measurements, take lots of pics, have baggies or muffin tins to keep screws and clips sorted, Have a backup plan in case you need assistance, and take your time.

No Chrome, The Only known 4G Spyder with a Power Antenna

Last edited by Megawatt; January 8th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Name: www.c4gnation.com
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
there is a place around here that specializes in soft-tops / seat covers... i should check with them for a color-matching top
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Timmy
Vehicle: 08 spyder gt
rangertimmy is a jewel in the roughrangertimmy is a jewel in the rough
Thats funny, I got the Satin Mesai Gray and specifically made the dealer find me one with the gray top. I think the gray on gray looks badass and get compliments on it all the time.

Anyway, two weeks after I bought the car, someone took a knife to the top. They didnt even break into the car, but I lived in an apartment complex at the time and the police said they had seen other random vandalism. Insurance covered it. $2500 parts and labor, and I watched some of the work be done. Yes, it was very difficult looking and required two people for some of the steps.

Bottom line. It cost me $250 for my deductible and of course I had to provide a police report. My insurance did not go up either.

Food for thought.
rangertimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
that sucks...
but if you look at the top opening / closing, it looks complex enough to leave it to a pro
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Yeah it does but damn 2k is expensive to replace it.

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

i know
i wonder if you could find a local shop to do it instead of getting butt-raped by the dealer...
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

I know you can buy aftermarket tops for around $600

Old January 16th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2012 Lancer Ralliart
deprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to behold
cheapest ones I have found that I'll trust to fit the first time are the ones on

MitsubishiParts.net - Your #1 Source for OEM Parts and Accessories

I would never attempt this on my own or even with a buddy. I've rebuilt engines and done full restores on alot of different parts of cars, but never would I attempt to replace a soft top unless it was on a Miata or something.
Current Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP| Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by ME! | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Can | Agency Power 3" DP | Avid1 18x9 +35 | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated TP | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2/ZR-2 AFR+Boost |
deprydation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #27 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse Spyder
Kendogg is an unknown quantity at this point
I had to get mine replaced under warranty. I bought my car in 08 brand new. I have had nothing but problems with the top. When it had about 2000 miles on it, it started acting up. The top would start to raise slowly. And then eventually timed out. We took it in for repair. I was told a J-plug connector came loose? Watever, I guess

Then I started getting the 2 holes in the back close to the rear window. It ripped holes through the top. Then the headline ripped and started falling down. I went through hell with Mitsubishi and this horrible dealership in my area. If you live in San Antonio Texas dont ever go to Gillman Mitsubishi or Metro Mitsubishi. Both these companies are incompetent.

Now the canopy cover gets stuck when Im trying to put the top down. I have to reach my hand back there and help it release to open up. I have this on video at my house and even at the dealership but Mitsubishi is telling me I have to drive to the dealership so they can see it again in person before they will honor warranty.

I liked the car but have grown to HATE mitsubishi with a passion. I couldnt begin to type out everything I had to go through. it took over a year and the top still is not fully functional. The car now has 29k miles on it. Ive paid it off and am tempted to sale or trade it in but Mitsubishi products seem to loose value quicker than the rest. I just cant let the car go for $12k when I paid $30k and the car is paid off and Im the original owner.

Does anyone know where I get a copy of this service bulletin so I can ensure these dealership retards have taken care of the hole forming issues?

Last edited by Kendogg; February 9th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Kendogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

Would this be the hole you're talking about???

Old February 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #29 (permalink)

I thought mine were a little closer to the back window. Same general area though. I had two. One on each side of the window. And they were symetrical. The lfet one was in the same place as the right one on each side of the window. It was covered under warranty. But was like pulling teeth to get the warranty honored. Mitsubishi is quick to claim a good warranty when you buying a car but after that good luck dealing with these retarded dealerships. I dont think I will buy a Mitsubishi again and dont think I will buy a rag top again.

Does anyone know where I get a copy of that bulletin so I dont get holes again?
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

I have them on the same places on both sides they are not big and I'm not leaking any water through. It looks like it's part of the mechanics for the top rubbing. My car is our of warranty since I got it used. I'm going to try and add some padding to keep it from rubbing.
I didn't know there was a bulletin about it.

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #31 (permalink)

I search all over the web and ended up finding the bulletin here....on our forum:

http://club4g.org/board/general-4g-e...-2009-tsb.html

Thanks rickhier!!!!

erep to u.
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalEclipse07 View Post
I search all over the web and ended up finding the bulletin here....on our forum:

http://club4g.org/board/general-4g-e...-2009-tsb.html

Thanks rickhier!!!!

erep to u.
Thanks so much. You are awesome for that.

I will be going to the last dealership left in my city either today or tomorrow to try and get my top issue resolved. The first two dealerships I went to were incompetent. Hopefully third time is the charm. My canopy cover gets stuck and doesnt want to open when you try to put the top down. Mitsu is not good about honoring warranties.

Although I have this issue on video and Mitsu has seen the video, they are forcing me to drive about 50 miles round trip to take it to the dealership so they can verify the issue there. The problem is sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesnt. So Im affraid of wasting my time and trip cause God knows it will work properly infront of Mitsu.

I will bring up this bulletin to them when Im there. I see the bulletin says for 2007-2009. Mine is an 08 but a brand new top was put on in 2010-2011. And they replaced the entire top. Not just the fabric. They replace the metal bars, back window, etc. So I'm wondering if the new tops dont have the issue and if I got a new model top.

Ill keep ya'll updated and thanks again for digging that up for me and others

Last edited by Kendogg; February 10th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #33 (permalink)
Old Skool Nuevo

vel7wil is on a distinguished road
Having mine replaced here in Texas.....looks like its gonna cost about $1,100.00 total....give or take
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vel7wil View Post
Having mine replaced here in Texas.....looks like its gonna cost about $1,100.00 total....give or take
Is that being done at a dealer?

Old February 17th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
Old Skool Nuevo

vel7wil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdixon23 View Post
Is that being done at a dealer?
Naw having it done at a customizing shop
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vel7wil View Post
Naw having it done at a customizing shop
Hey Bro, are they going to do the TSB also?? Did you talk to them about that??

I really need a new top in a bad way. I got a good wear rip on the passanger rear. If the TSB isn't performed, the wear spots (and eventual rip) will keep happening and you'll need to replace the top again in a couple years.

Just curious!! Thanks!!

B.
"|(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)*****"|(@ )
http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...tml#post716735
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendogg View Post
Thanks so much. You are awesome for that.

I will be going to the last dealership left in my city either today or tomorrow to try and get my top issue resolved. The first two dealerships I went to were incompetent. Hopefully third time is the charm. My canopy cover gets stuck and doesnt want to open when you try to put the top down. Mitsu is not good about honoring warranties.

Although I have this issue on video and Mitsu has seen the video, they are forcing me to drive about 50 miles round trip to take it to the dealership so they can verify the issue there. The problem is sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesnt. So Im affraid of wasting my time and trip cause God knows it will work properly infront of Mitsu.

I will bring up this bulletin to them when Im there. I see the bulletin says for 2007-2009. Mine is an 08 but a brand new top was put on in 2010-2011. And they replaced the entire top. Not just the fabric. They replace the metal bars, back window, etc. So I'm wondering if the new tops dont have the issue and if I got a new model top.

Ill keep ya'll updated and thanks again for digging that up for me and others
Any update on your situation Bro??

B.
"|(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)*****"|(@ )
http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...tml#post716735
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #38 (permalink)

Ok so I took a look at the TSB for this and have found the little spacer that rubs my top cloth and causes these holes. I may be taking these babies of and grinding them down some and maybe see about patching the top from the inside since I'm sure the dealer won't cover a new top for me since I'm sitting at 83k miles. I think it is funny that the previous owner didn't have this fixed since all the service was done at a mitsu dealer. Here are a few pics. I also haven't had any leaks which is shocking.

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #39 (permalink)

well I am not trying to move my top until it is way warmer but can you take a farther away pic and indicate where that is so I can check mine out?

Redline Tuning hood lifts, Ralliart colour matched eyelids, painted "eclipse" fuel door & calipers, Kenwood DNX 7160 DD w/ bluetooth & Garmin GPS, Custom sealed sub box w/ Rockford Fosgate Amp & 10" sub, stubbie antenna & sexy 18" Rims. Purrrfect
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

i dropped the top 2 days ago here
x2 on the pics Mike, i definitely need to check mine before my warranty runs out.... which is a year or 2 away

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.