Best , cheapest way to tune car for performance, mpg, ses codes ? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Tuning and Electronics

Tuning and Electronics This forum is for tuning devices for the 4g eclipse from piggyback systems to full Stand Alones, Fuel Controllers, EGT readings, Data logging, PCM tuning, Air/Fuel readings and data. Discussions of Installations, Wiring & Tuning.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2017, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
Best , cheapest way to tune car for performance, mpg, ses codes ?

Ive read on here about the reflashes, and understand some about them however Im kinda limited in what I know of the eclipse. Im looking to spend roughly $100 to tune for such things If its possible I would like to know how. I understand pretty good once looking at maps and things just would like to know what to expect. I have a coule tablets and notebooks I could use for doing programs just dont know reliable ones I e seen a few on here that people say work but Id like to know what to expect from each option. Like is it just mild tuning, how in depth does the download go, what should I learn more about in the mean time. Sorry for being vague just really needing some issues figured out with my car and looking to buy a obd but figured hell for double that I can modify things I need corrected like some torque lag and what not .
Smokeynbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Michael
hackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nice
You can have cheap or good. My tune usually goes on sale every spring.

-Michael

"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it" -Neil deGrasse Tyson
hackish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think we talked about this a couple weeks ago I may have made two posts after one disappeared on me lol im a lazy one sometimes but will say when talking to you will say you know your stuff and thabks for the information shared its very helpful, knowing details thats least let us know the difficulty of what were trying to achieve at times lol how much is the spring deal going for may have to consider it if im still feeling a bit laggy, i changed my spark plugs and got some recovered low end, still need to get my engine code off going to get oil changed at mits so theyl check for free il know what issues im having to fix by this time tomorrow.

On a side note will say if anyone needs info for many things on here even if not ecu related hack knows his stuff and I believe if you need a tune and he does it, it will be worth the money. Only reason I havnt jumped for it yet is because I have other ideas for the car. Still figuring out what Direction to go in. awd is what i want almost auch as a v8 but still in this car idk about everyone but I do love the 4g it is a car that looks like it shouldve been a v8 doing rwd burnouts

Old January 27th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Trav
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse GT/ Silver
traser579 is on a distinguished road
bust out all the catalytic converters - 0$
unplug all o2 sensors- 0$

test drive

this has not been tested but possibly more hp

gas mileage may suck but will still be better than those v8s
traser579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

and dont forget to reduce weight cause i just did
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

hackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by traser579 View Post
bust out all the catalytic converters - 0$
unplug all o2 sensors- 0$

test drive

this has not been tested but possibly more hp

gas mileage may suck but will still be better than those v8s
It has been dyno tested. Hollowing the cats loses about 8 ft/lb of torque and gains about 1-2hp. Removing the O2 sensors loses about 14hp and about 10% fuel economy. That was on a GT. Never tested a GS.

-Michael

"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it" -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I feel like my car wouldnt even start without the sensors connected, mine does odd things when I mess with it lol personally i think itd br nice to be able to just add oarts to a car and not have to bother with sensors idk about everyone else but when they throw codes over sensitivity crap its just a pain, if I could unplug them and have decent life in the engine left I would, hackish had said one day that a tune would be better than just removing them, Im in a gs also which may make a difference. If it was simple to remove them without ecu changes I feel like wed all be without haha my second cat is gone i still have the third and the exhaust manifold ones.
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I threw a code for forever over my custom intake off a honda, finally got that right then now two yrs later Im getting a bad o2 sensor code after just replacing it lol thats why id love to get rid of them if I could easily but i do need some reliability
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

O2 sensors are a good thing.

A lot of people view them as an emissions annoyance but they really aren't. Every engine that comes off the assembly line is different. I've even seen 2 completely stock zero miles cars make 10whp difference on the dyno.

The O2 sensor is a method that the ECU can use to make sure everything is kept in check and manufacturing differences are compensated for.

Delete them and not only do you pollute, but you also waste fuel. Avoid replacing the $100 sensor then spend $200 in extra fuel over the next year.

-Michael

Old January 30th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

How do turbo cars avoid throwing codes? Lol a tune is what ive seen but not really sure what would need to be
Old January 30th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

With a turbo car you need the O2 sensor in the downpipe. I have extensively re-worked factory routines to be able to work with this sort of thing. That's why the fastworks boost patches are an extra-add on.

-Michael

Old January 30th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am not attempting to turbo it but that makes sense so basically its moving the sensors further down to compensate for the extra air in a sense. my mitsubishi dealership didnt install the sensor, my uncle got it and did it. But apparently its whats causing the code for a low reading or somethinng like that had a post about it on here. But maybe i just got a bad one
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

That's not really it. On a turbo car you move the sensor after the turbo to avoid the high pressure exhaust as it gives inaccurate readings and to get to a cooler spot in the exhaust.

On an NA car you probably do NOT want to move the sensors far. They can also be used to calculate cat temps so simply moving it down the pipe can cause false error codes.

-Michael

Old January 30th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sory for all the qusstions lol but i get what your saying, so would there br a way to gain power without the sensors and get better economy
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeynbandit View Post
Sory for all the qusstions lol but i get what your saying, so would there br a way to gain power without the sensors and get better economy
See the following, that he had written just a couple messages before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
O2 sensors are a good thing.

Delete them and not only do you pollute, but you also waste fuel. Avoid replacing the $100 sensor then spend $200 in extra fuel over the next year.

-Michael
So no.

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

I didnt inow if anyone had actually tried making an all motor no sensor engine get decent power and all. But guess il jus continue waiting for replacement sensor. The ses light gets anoying looking at lol maybe its just car ocd
Old January 31st, 2017, 12:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Nah, they're hell. I have the tire pressure monitor light on right now, as I don't have sensors in my winters.

It wouldn't be as bad if the warning lights could dim like the backlighting in the cluster, but they don't...

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Thats smart, keep that service engine soon nice and bright and we might just bring it to get it worked on quicker..... mitsubishi you sly dog you

Tags
buy, car, codes, eclipse, good, issues, mpg, option, performance, torque, tune, tuning, uni, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.