Potential Development: Paddle Shifters - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Tuning and Electronics

Tuning and Electronics This forum is for tuning devices for the 4g eclipse from piggyback systems to full Stand Alones, Fuel Controllers, EGT readings, Data logging, PCM tuning, Air/Fuel readings and data. Discussions of Installations, Wiring & Tuning.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
Potential Development: Paddle Shifters

So, as you may or may not know, Brian J developed a module several years back that allows people with automatics to use the steering wheel audio control buttons as "paddle shifters", in the sense that you would use the buttons to change gears, rather than the stock center console shifter. I have reached out to him to purchase one, though I'm not sure if he still sells/makes them (we'll find out).

Now, I am proposing to custom fabricate ACTUAL paddles, as well as a bracket system with a spring loaded lever. My hope is that I can find a way to inconspicuously mount it on the steering wheel (inconspicuous as in, small, compact, aesthetically pleasing, not a big ass box superglued to the back of the steering wheel), and have the paddles be an extension of the buttons, and work in combination with the BrianJ module.

I think that this would be beneficial for the driving experience, because it allows the driver to keep both hands on the wheel at all times, even when shifting manually (or... sport-tronically?). Compared to just the buttons, It would allow the driver to have their hands in a more normal position than the direct center of the steering wheel. And lastly, if made well, It could look pretty damn cool.

Are there any automatics out there anymore that have the BrianJ harness set up? Would you be interested in a product like this- that gave you more "conventional" paddles? Also, would there be any people interested in purchasing a harness in combination with paddles (assuming I can get in touch with BrianJ, and actually develop a "kit" of sorts).

Side note: If you don't have steering wheel buttons, you can purchase them for cheap direct from Mitsubishi (like $15 from what I checked, not even joking), and install them. They can do it for probably the same price as your car, or you can go knife happy and do it yourself pretty easily, if you're daring. I guess my hope is to make legitimate paddle shifters available for any automatic Eclipse.

As for material, I was probably just going to use ABS plastic. Metal sounds expensive, difficult, and heavy, which would shoot production and final selling prices up. I could vinyl wrap the fronts of the shifters with CF, because we all like it, don't lie. Or just leave it plain black.

I'm getting too ahead of myself! Who thinks this would be cool? Thoughts, opinions, concerns, complaints? Bueller?
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Brandon
Vehicle: 08 GT SE and 91 3kgt VR4
wingo171 is a jewel in the roughwingo171 is a jewel in the rough
To make your life easier, you could just install the Evo X paddle shifter assembly on your 4G and call it a day.
wingo171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

I've looked at the assembly for the Evo X/Lancer/Ralliart. They look good, and it seems like it'd be easy enough, but they have that stalk with the wiring harness on it. It looks like it would have fitment issues, and then you'd have to run all those wires to the sport-tronic module and figure out what does what. The only reason I'm inclined to use the BrianJ system is because it's something that would be easy for anyone. Not to say this would be disgustingly difficult, but it might not be like an easy solution for everyone. I might head to a scrapyard and see if they have any. I suppose it's worth a shot.

Old January 11th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Side note: the Lancer series paddle shifters are stationary on the column (which I know some people are into) but I wanted my paddles to move with the wheel.
Old January 11th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Financial Wizard

Name: Nick
Nick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond repute
Stationary on the column does seem counter intuitive for hand position while hitting the apex.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

I kind of want to get those paddles on the wheel. Lol. They already have a spring loaded mechanism, and they look good. I guess the question is whether or not it's cheaper to tap into the BrianJ system, or just custom wire everything. I read through a few threads and it sounds to me like it's more complicated than just an up shift and down shift wire. I'm not sure if it was only complicated to connect it to the existing buttons? Or if it's complexity in the shifting mechanism that causes the issues.
Old February 16th, 2017, 03:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Wyatt
Vehicle: 2009/GT
TheMonkeyHouse is on a distinguished road
Hey, have you made any progress with this? I'm very interested, but have no clue how to proceed with it.
TheMonkeyHouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
abs, audio, back, black, box, bracket, brian j, buttons, car, console, custom, development, driver, eclipse, harness, install, kit, mitsubishi, mount, shifter, stock, system, vinyl, wheel, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.