Suspension noise - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Slip and slide discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

cruzer is on a distinguished road
Suspension noise

At least I think that it is coming from the suspension. I have the Prokits and have 43+k miles on her. Every time I go over, through a dip, hole, or just uneven surface over 25MPH I hear a clanking, loose noise from the front end. I feel as if something is loose. I had her checked and was told that everything was tight. No oil around the struts and the car seems firm when I lift from the wheel well. I wonder if my struts are shot already
Anyone with this problem or have any suggestions.
Factory Aero Kit, ACE "Webb" Wheels, NITTO 19's, Injen Intake, Burshur Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, 35% Tint, Rear deck painted (Eclipse), RIPP BRAT & MTR Mount, Ralliart Eyes, V-Speed Spoiler, TWM Short Shifter, Grounding Gear kit
cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
IH8Civix

Vehicle: 06 Audi A4 2.0T
Bart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud of
I hear it from time to time as well. Did you cut the bump stops?
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart-man View Post
I hear it from time to time as well. Did you cut the bump stops?

I don't think they did when it was installed. Would cutting them cause this or is it necessary to cut them to alleviate the problem. I hear it all the time.
Factory Aero Kit, ACE "Webb" Wheels, NITTO 19's, Injen Intake, Burshur Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, 35% Tint, Rear deck painted (Eclipse), RIPP BRAT & MTR Mount, Ralliart Eyes, V-Speed Spoiler, TWM Short Shifter, Grounding Gear kit
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
IH8Civix

Bart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud ofBart-man has much to be proud of
The problem I had with the eibachs is that they are really bouncy with the bump stop. The bump stop prevents the strut from bottoming out, so when you hit a huge pot hole your car just gets crazy bouncy and hits the bump stop, and is a pain in the ass to drive. I drove like that for 6 months and i wanted to sell the springs and car because it was pissing me off. Then I took my struts apart again and cut them by 2 inches since that is what the drop is. And WOW! the difference is night and day. I love the way it rides now, and i don't think i have heard the clunk since then. I highly recommend it and should be done with these or other springs.

I have never yet hit the bottom of my car, only on entrances and exits from gas stations but you just have to angle it. Never from a bump in the road. Hope this helps.

Try doing somethings yourself, you learn more about your car that way. Unless you live in an apartment it then I totally understand.
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
The problem I had with the eibachs is that they are really bouncy with the bump stop. The bump stop prevents the strut from bottoming out, so when you hit a huge pot hole your car just gets crazy bouncy and hits the bump stop, and is a pain in the ass to drive. I drove like that for 6 months and i wanted to sell the springs and car because it was pissing me off. Then I took my struts apart again and cut them by 2 inches since that is what the drop is. And WOW! the difference is night and day. I love the way it rides now, and i don't think i have heard the clunk since then. I highly recommend it and should be done with these or other springs.

I have never yet hit the bottom of my car, only on entrances and exits from gas stations but you just have to angle it. Never from a bump in the road. Hope this helps.

Try doing somethings yourself, you learn more about your car that way. Unless you live in an apartment it then I totally understand.

Other than the springs, I have done all the mods myself and your right, one does learn from it. I don't have a spring compressor but will look into the bump stops. Thanks
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
"Yayo"

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
Kilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond repute
I would agree that you should check the bump stops. Good luck!
Kilzod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Droganto

Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
MannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really nice
WHen I first started getting that noise, I found that first it was the Transmission mount, then the second noise over bumps and everything the dealer found that my Right Side Lower Control Arm was damage. $307.00

Follow us Facebook
'06 4G_GT (Old Ride) '09 370Z (New Ride)
MannyGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
IH8Civix

should of taken a pic of it damaged Manny. Tisk tisk.
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyGT View Post
WHen I first started getting that noise, I found that first it was the Transmission mount, then the second noise over bumps and everything the dealer found that my Right Side Lower Control Arm was damage. $307.00
Was any of it covered or because it was lowered they voided the warranty?
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Droganto

Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
MannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer View Post
Was any of it covered or because it was lowered they voided the warranty?
They covered the transmission mount, but not the control arm.

Follow us Facebook
'06 4G_GT (Old Ride) '09 370Z (New Ride)
MannyGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
"carrot top" owner

Name: Fahad
Vehicle: 06/GT
fshamsi83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I have the same problem but I did cut my bump stops about 1/2"(I have megans with kyb shocks). Should I cut them more?
fshamsi83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GT V6
07gt is on a distinguished road
I have the bottoming out sqeaking problem too. Lowered my Spyder GT on Friday with Pro Kit's and goin over speed bumps at anything but a roll gets the noise going.
07gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hates carbon fiber

Vehicle: 07 Satin Mesai GT
JUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant futureJUZ10xD has a brilliant future
if its a clank noise, it could be a loose heat shield. or check the sway bar end links. thats my only guess.

and if your struts were goin bad, your car would handle like shit and would never stop bouncing.

Express, not impress.
JUZ10xD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
"carrot top" owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUZ10xD View Post
if its a clank noise, it could be a loose heat shield. or check the sway bar end links. thats my only guess.

and if your struts were goin bad, your car would handle like shit and would never stop bouncing.
I have already checked the sway bar end links, it's looks okay but what's a heat shield?
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 GT 6spd
jhinerman has a spectacular aura about
I get a metal-on-metal clanking noise also sounds like it is coming from the left front over small bumps and stuff. I was under it and everything seems tight and ok. It almost sounds similar to the noise your caliper makes if you hit it. clank-clank. I have oem sturts with works springs. This is something that was not always there.
jhinerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
"carrot top" owner

Yesterday I decided to get the shop to redo my rear springs(assuming I messed up something when I did it) and cut my bump stops a bit more, which made it go from sounding like crap to sounding like shit. But today I took it for an alignment and all noises are gone and car ride is more stiff and responsive. Try an alignment.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 GT 6spd
jhinerman has a spectacular aura about
there is no way that an alignment is going to fix a noise like that..
jhinerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
"carrot top" owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinerman View Post
there is no way that an alignment is going to fix a noise like that..
Not sure if this will fix your problem but I was sure it wouldn't solve the problem since I was getting the same metal-to-matal song. In my mind I was assuming that maybe I over compressed the springs but somehow the alignment fixed it. Maybe someone who has a better knowledge of this can explain how it fixed the problem.
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GT
larce is on a distinguished road
I have the pro kit as well. It has been making that sound for me on the drivers side front only. I took it back to the shop that put the springs on, and they said they tightened the center shaft of the strut. That worked for about a month or so. Now it's doing it again. Its also knocking a bit. I called eibach, and they had no answers. It's getting frustrating.
larce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Name: colten
Vehicle: 2008 eclipse gt
MIVEC GOBLIN is on a distinguished road
same f###ing problem

I get that same noise going over bumps but its not a metal clanking sounds like a soft bump does it while shifting too any suggestions
MIVEC GOBLIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Carlos
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
wazatataza has a spectacular aura about
Check your lug nuts... No joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
My wife is always within slapping distance.
wazatataza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: colten
Vehicle: 2008 eclipse gt
MIVEC GOBLIN is on a distinguished road
Found it lol my overflow tank was bouncing around when I hit bumps my crisis is over
MIVEC GOBLIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
car, king, noise, oil, problem, struts, suspension, wheel, wheel well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.