D2 Racing Coilovers Review - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Slip and slide discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GS SE
peruano4g is a jewel in the roughperuano4g is a jewel in the rough
D2 Racing Coilovers Review

Ok well this is the second attempt on the review since the first was completely erased soon as i press preview post and was logged off since i took my time..

I installed as soon as it arrived at my door. I just got the whip a month ago and my plan was to go stance/sleeper. I will use the drag strip after a few bolt ons to see what times i'll get. Mostly just want to ride the lowlife and have comfort while doing so. Only upgrades so far is ddm 12k heads 3k fogs and now these coilovers. Not rich, just working harder, double shifts like crazy to get my toys.

OEM status, next mod is pulley, cai fujita 1 piece w/bypass..

comes with everything you need to bolt on and go. You won't be needing the 4 rubber bushings for the brake lines, universal pieces. You WILL need 2 metal zipties and dremil. I will come back to this.
***tighten the camber plates with the allen wrench that comes in the bag, i assumed it was tightened and the camber went all the way negative soon as it was off the jackstands***

I recommend having the front on jackstands to have a smoother job and also less stress on the sway bar links

One last look at my oem 60k miles struts..

Here we go. I removed in this order:
-brake line off bracket on strut (keep clip)
-this black cable behind the brake has a bracket holding it against strut.(1 bolt) then pry the bracket off the black cable.
-sway bar link off strut
-bottom 2 strut bolt
-top plate 3 bolts

Comparing D2's and oem front struts. The center ring on the D2's is where the sway bar link atttaches to. I try to have this ring same height as how the oem has it.

Here is where you need dremil. These comes with universal brakeline brackets and they dont fit on the strut bolt. Use dremil and shave inside the hole until it fits snug on bolt. This goes on the upper bolt of the 2 bolts. Then bend about 120 degrees.

Here is where metal zipties come in. Theres black cable coming off behind the brake. Where you pryed off bracket,there was extra rubber skin on black cable. Ziptie around this to the sway bar link rod.

Don't forget to lube the ball joints. Lube comes in the box as well.

Comparing rear struts.

Oh yea, MUST take all rear plastic interior off to get the top 3 strut bolts off.

Back is hella easy.
-remove top 3 bolts
-1 bolt off bottom

I adjusted rear cambers myself. I set the rears all the way in on both sides. I do this because if im paying any store to do this, thats all there going to do. Even maxing out the cambers in, rear wheels still sitting a lil slant. Is because rear is about 3 inch lowered.

Finally, adjusting the hard/soft. I went all the way HARD, and didn't want to try anything else. It felt really confortable and stiff. Glides on corners. Like a cloud on the freeway. If your going into circuit or autocross, i would highly recommend a higher spring rate.

You can ride REALLY LOW on just adjusting the body of the shock instead of the spring perch. I bind my cv joints riding real low only adjusting the body. I would touch the floor if i ever try to lower the spring perch, most likely only on car shows.

Just to inform, all coilovers are ment for tracks, NOT street. Tracks don't have bumps,cracks or deep holes in them. I would'nt blame the manufacturer (ei. tein ss, D2's..) for blown shock after plunging down on a hole in high speed. Blame the driver and hopfully your still have the warrenty when this happens. Happend to my friend with tein ss, warrenty gave him another one.

I am fully satisfied on this product. Only down side is modifiaction you have to do on universal brake line bracket. Other then that, everything is sweet.

Any questions or comments are allowed, this is the first time i did a review and i know is not perfect.

lowlife is the life.
peruano4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Couldnt fit anymore pics on thread, heres more

BEFORE

AFTER

Old February 9th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

Name: Ajdin/Aj
Vehicle: 2011/Eclipse/GS -94Golf 3
STL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really nice
that is just straight sexy dammmmm

http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...er-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHILLY22 View Post
about time u got a signatue lol looks badass...
STL Eclipse 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Black Irish

Name: Ross
Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/gs
muscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to all
Very nice. Amazing how much sexier the car is dropped especially on coilovers
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2009/eclipse/gt v6
Ndrewz is on a distinguished road
great process and pic layout, i just hope it's that easy for my 09 gt.

at the very least, i have a pretty good idea what i am in store for when i go coilover, thanks for that!

although it's my last point, it ain't my least point... damn that makes a killer difference on the profile, great shots of the more aggressive stance of the car, it looks great!
Ndrewz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse GT-SC
joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
oh man thanks so much. +mega rep. I will need this walkthrough here in a few weeks when mine get here. book marking it now. thanks man.

~347 WHP / ~309 WTQ / ~6 lbs Boost
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Yea I installed this myself with a box of craftmans and a pipe for leverege. Btw, the Cavalier is my other puppy. Cops here love her.
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Soon to be SC'd :)

Name: Don Glisson
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
NitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond repute
Great write-up and even better results. Got you an E-rep
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
I'd be all like 4g! Waat?

6 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 12

Name: Randy
Vehicle: 5.3
randman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant future
fucking sweet looks great! Good write up
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2007/eclipse/SE
XxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond repute
ride quality?
azn/cracka goon #1 holla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspower View Post
i see kchu's swag has rubbed off on you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by deprydation View Post
You _REALLY_ don't wanna start that war...

Trust me.

I would retract this statement and go f**k yourself before kchu comes and makes you look and feel like the biggest moron to ever walk this earth.
XxkevinchuxX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Riding estimate 3" drop all around ONLY adjusting shock body perch and set on hard all around. On the streets, TO ME it feels like the car is not even moving.

For example, no more rocking when I shift. Does not shake or rock when I hit the brakes. Sits level when I switch lanes. You WILL feel stuff like the reflectors bumps on the road, but thats if your set on full hard like me. Have not autocross yet nor will I any time soon.

Hope this answers ur question Kevin.
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
love it mike. love it. can't freakin wait for my set to get here - probably arrive around the 25th; hope you don't mind me asking you questions during the install if I have trouble - which is likely.
man I almost switched to a different brand - glad now that I didn't. I am pumped.

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Charles
Vehicle: 2008 spider gs
groundpounder will become famous soon enough
Man what a huge diff job well done I can't wait to get mine.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
fastest 4g in colorado

Name: roy
Vehicle: 08 gt
roy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud of
I hope they are better quality than there lowering spring those are going in the trash soon
roy_robinsonV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

^really? that's not what I want to hear...

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
fastest 4g in colorado

Name: roy
Vehicle: 08 gt
roy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud ofroy_robinsonV has much to be proud of
Those spings are so fucking bouncey they piss me off
roy_robinsonV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Financial Wizard

Name: Nick
Nick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond repute
Sheesh, look at that monster truck in the first before picture! Thanks for the quality review!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
BlackGuard Motorsports

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 3

Name: Isamu
Vehicle: 300zx(TT) nismo 370z(T)
Isamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
^really? that's not what I want to hear...
I had some D2's on my 3G, they were great!
and man, the difference from OEM height to dropped is wow....
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

oh man I am sooooooooooooooooooooo pumped

my falkens are demonic and I can't wait to slam my car down

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

ok I have my rear ones on there but they are way too high. I'm going to have to re-adjust them....guess you just have to use a jack to push the rotor assembly back up a lot more so the new strut can slide onto it? right?

Old March 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

^someone who knows how to install coilovers answer my question please!

is it OK to just jack that whole hub assembly up to the new height? I'm not going to break it, right?

Old March 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
602customs has a spectacular aura about
You got some more pics After lowering the car? That Looks badass!!
602customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

I tell you just having the rear ones on there I can tell a pretty significant difference. ride quality is awesome. no doubt bumpy when the road is rough, but very very smooth for a racing strut assembly.

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
BlackGuard Motorsports

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 3

Name: Isamu
Vehicle: 300zx(TT) nismo 370z(T)
Isamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_robinsonV View Post
Those spings are so fucking bouncey they piss me off
what Spring rate did you get tho? maybe they sent you the wrong spring rate?
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
ok I have my rear ones on there but they are way too high. I'm going to have to re-adjust them....guess you just have to use a jack to push the rotor assembly back up a lot more so the new strut can slide onto it? right?
jack up the rotor assembly?
It's less stress to the threads on coilovers if you jack the corner of chasis til wheel is on the air, then adjust sleeve ring.
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

^hmmmm ok thanks man. I think I know what you are getting at....I think

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

If you were gunna raise the hub assembly (the lower arm im assuming) with jack, strut is still compressed,like if it was still on the ground.

Use the jacking points under the car instead, strut will decompress, easier on threads to adjust height.
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Pic request.justa preview. Going to make my own thread on members ride soon as i get a good camera.

Bend axles. Buy more. Get back on the grind.
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2009 Gs Coupe
Eclipse2009 is on a distinguished road
ordering mine with-in the next week can't wait to get them in for spring time!
Eclipse2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Scrape Artist

Name: Low Life
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
kazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant future
Bend axels??? Howd u do that???

Just
lower Slam the shit out of
It

-----Break free from the chains of conformity-----

"There are a lot of us who are caught up in this hell we all live in,
Content with being blinded by rules and judgment.
We live in a world where it's more okay to follow than to lead.
In this world being a leader is trouble for the system we are all accustomed to.
Being a leader in this day and age is being a threat." - Common
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Name: www.c4gnation.com
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
the guy hasnt been here for a year, dont expect a quick answer
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #32 (permalink)
Much Parts, Little Money.

Name: George Platt
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GS
PearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to behold
I broke 2 wrenchs, and my impact wrenches cant even remove those fucking bottom 2 strut bolts.... WTF!!!! 500lbs of fucking torque?!

HAVE: Full Bolt On - OBX headers, cai, RRE pulley, Aero Turbine, Projectors, Hackish tune, D2 Coilovers, Volt stabilizer, eibach sways, under brace & strut tower bar tanabe
SOON: Turbo w/ arp head studs, mounts.
WANT: Ingals Stiffy... Hmu if you're selling <3
PearlGreenNMean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #33 (permalink)
Much Parts, Little Money.

Name: George Platt
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GS
PearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to behold
Fucking christ.... a can of pb , and 5 mintues constant on that damn bolt, and it loosened...

...Now, what would I use for initial spring settings?

Im suprised no one on here asked that.
What I did was after I tightened the springs until they stopped spinning, I tightened it 4 half circle turns. I will let you guys know how it feels in a bit.

HAVE: Full Bolt On - OBX headers, cai, RRE pulley, Aero Turbine, Projectors, Hackish tune, D2 Coilovers, Volt stabilizer, eibach sways, under brace & strut tower bar tanabe
SOON: Turbo w/ arp head studs, mounts.
WANT: Ingals Stiffy... Hmu if you're selling <3

Last edited by PearlGreenNMean; February 11th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
PearlGreenNMean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
Bend axels??? Howd u do that???
Sry for the delay. I have replaced driver side axle because the boot broke off due to rubbing. boot rubs hot enough to melt away because of the way the arm of the axle bends (lower the car, worse the angle of axle will be) and smell the boot after hitting 80 mph. lesson learned.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Scrape Artist

kazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant future
so.... you replaced it and dont drive over 80mph? c/ its just gunna happen again isnt it?

Just
It

In this world being a leader is trouble for the system we are all accustomed to.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM   #36 (permalink)

Name: Cesar
Vehicle: 2008 Generic Veyron
gspower is a jewel in the roughgspower is a jewel in the rough
^im too asking myself this, so just dont put it too slammed to prevent the boot rub?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #37 (permalink)
Praise The Lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
so.... you replaced it and dont drive over 80mph? c/ its just gunna happen again isnt it?
Well ever since, I've never passed 70mph on the freeway. Rubbing boot doesnt hurt until you pass a certain speed (about 80mph), plus you can smell it even within the cabin w/windows up.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
Scrape Artist

Im terrified to go over 75 because of how stiff my coils are and how hard it sounds when hit an uneven part ofnthe highway. Lol. I normally do 65. How long did you leave your boot ripped for before it started to melt the axel?

Just
It

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #39 (permalink)

Name: Cesar
Vehicle: 2008 Generic Veyron
gspower is a jewel in the roughgspower is a jewel in the rough
so what do you boys recomend? raise up before highway travel so to not worry about staying within a certain speed?
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #40 (permalink)
Scrape Artist

Idk, this is the first ive heard of this haopening. Mine, kevins and cmattox cv boots are all ripped. And im sure tons others too. :/

Just
It

Tags
2009, black, body, box, brake, cai, car, coilovers, crazy, door, fit, fujita, interior, mod, racing, rear, rip, stiff, street, struts, top, universal, upgrades, wheels, whip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.