Offset, what it does and what its about. - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Slip and slide discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
BlackGuard Motorsports

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 3

Name: Isamu
Vehicle: 300zx(TT) nismo 370z(T)
Isamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant future
Offset, what it does and what its about.

Quote:
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*

Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive Offset

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative Offset

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. To maintain handling characteristics and avoid undue loads on bushings and ball joints, the car manufacturer's original offset should be maintained when choosing new wheels unless there are overriding clearance issues. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside

Wheels are usually stamped with their offset using the German prefix "ET", meaning "Einpresstiefe" or, literally, "press depth". An example would be "ET45" for a 45mm offset.

Calculating the offset of a wheel

First, measure the overall width of the wheel (remember, just because a wheel is 18x7.5, does not mean that the OVERALL width is 7.5”. It means that the measurement between the outboard flange and the inboard flange is 7.5”). Next, divide that width of the wheel by two; this will give you the centerline of the wheel.

Overall width/2 = Centerline

After determining the centerline, measure from the hub-mounting surface of the hub to the edge of the inboard flange (if the wheel were laying flat on the ground – face up – your measurement would be from the ground to the hub-mounting surface). This is your back spacing.

Back spacing - Centerline = Offset

Offset Calculator

Last edited by Isamu; March 5th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Isamu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Jeff
Vehicle: 2002 Honda S2k
Daxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud of
good info but how do rims work? all that weight on like. say. a 6 spoke wheel. all that weight is resting on maybe 2 spokes at a time when the car isnt in motion. when said spoke maybe a little bigger than 1"x.5" where it connects to the rim.

idk just boggles my mind that one little spoke can support like 700lbs

Mods=Daxenth's Satin Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsou View Post
I, Panda and Dax, decree that on this Sunday morning, the third generation Eclipse is now revoked of all it's right to be part of the Eclipse family. From now on it is to be known as the "Mitsubishi Stillbirth".
Daxenth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
You been posting up some good stuff lately man!

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 5th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Aaron
Vehicle: 2009/Galant/Ralliart
Infliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to all
alright. here's what ive been trying to figure out for a while. ive been looking at wheels. and it usually seems that the offset will be a lower number for a thinner wheel. and higher for a wider wheel.
if im looking at the same wheel in two different widths. and the offset changes like that. what does it mean? will a wider wheel compensate for less of an offset? and therefor have the same stance on the fender?
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackGuard Motorsports

3 Highscores

Isamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant futureIsamu has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
alright. here's what ive been trying to figure out for a while. ive been looking at wheels. and it usually seems that the offset will be a lower number for a thinner wheel. and higher for a wider wheel.
if im looking at the same wheel in two different widths. and the offset changes like that. what does it mean? will a wider wheel compensate for less of an offset? and therefor have the same stance on the fender?
it's all dependant on the location of the hub... look at how offset works.
in theory a 10 in wide wheel could have a zero offset.
if you had a zero offset wheel, no matter the width, you may run into problems with fender or the wheel well liner
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Infliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
it's all dependant on the location of the hub... look at how offset works.
in theory a 10 in wide wheel could have a zero offset.
if you had a zero offset wheel, no matter the width, you may run into problems with fender or the wheel well liner
so the answer to my question is.. guess.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackGuard Motorsports

3 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
so the answer to my question is.. guess.
when you decide on a wheel call who ever your buying them from and ask..
I don't know what offsets you would need to clear your brakes
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: James Alphadawg Jones
Vehicle: 2007 eclipse spyder gs
229boss is a glorious beacon of light229boss is a glorious beacon of light229boss is a glorious beacon of light229boss is a glorious beacon of light
someone should sticky a listing of all the sizes that correctly fit our eclipse
229boss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackGuard Motorsports

3 Highscores

if someone PMs me a list of proper clearances for the Brembos and the Stock wheels, i will add it to the 1s post, and we can have a mod clean this thread up
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
when you decide on a wheel call who ever your buying them from and ask..
I don't know what offsets you would need to clear your brakes
im more worried about where the wheel will sit on the fender. some that will fit are a 48 offset. stocks are 45. so im assuming that will sit farther in. and i dont want that.
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Mitsu Eclipse GS
dsm2mivec is a jewel in the roughdsm2mivec is a jewel in the rough
Anyone know what the lowest offset is we can run on our cars?! So far I've seen +10? I think anyone negative?

Yes I know thread revival and mods you can move I didn't know if I should start a thread for that question
Old October 14th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Greg
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE
lite2 is on a distinguished road
My question is what influence does the offset have on driving behavior and alignment.
I ask because I want better rims(mine look like hell) and I don't care if it's new stockers or aftermarket.
My car seems to wanna choose it's own flight path, hard to keep centered. CarMax says the alignment checks out(they even put on new Escta LE sports to correct a pull that is still there).
I plan to have my local Firestone check the alignment next week but as far as offset, does more or less positive make the car more "twitchy" on straits & bumps. Just wanna keep that in mind when shopping for new rims.
Old October 15th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Name: Kibo... past, present, and Future
Vehicle: 06GT, 09GT, 01GT-T, 14MR
Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
No one's gone negative... yet. I don't think. And if there were someone with that hellish offset, there had better be a good reason for it

Offset is nothing but the distance from the hub to the centerline of the wheel cross-section. Like Isamu pointed out in post # 1. Generally speaking, when people say it's "bad" to have crazy offset, that's not the whole picture.

Undue stress is put on the wheel hubs and studs if the wheel track (the key to this equation) is severely "offset" from what the OE is designed to do. That is, if the factory offset is +42, and you keep the same width wheel and go -42 (for illustrative purposes), then you're putting a lot of stress on the hub and studs. BUT (and here's the key), if wheel offset is increased or decreased dramatically over stock, but the wheel track is kept within relatively reasonable tolerance, then, all things remaining equal, "stress" on the hubs is minimized.

It's all about centrifugal forces and unsprung mass. And while most people think pondering the purchase of "wheels" just to make the car look "good", isn't good enough. A factory wheel and tire combination of 28-28 is average. Add 22" wheels and your 28-lb wheel is now easily 35-40. All that weight has to be spun by both the engine and bore by the hubs. In contrast, going down to an ultra-light wheel (say, 15lbs) with the same tire does wonders both for engine responsiveness, acceleration, fuel efficiency, and, believe it or not, braking.

Offset and alignment have no dependencies on each other. Though, if you go to a wider wheel, factory camber may simply no longer suffice to keep the treads even. FYI.
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
BlackGuard Motorsports

3 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippercream View Post
No one's gone negative... yet. I don't think. And if there were someone with that hellish offset, there had better be a good reason for it

Offset is nothing but the distance from the hub to the centerline of the wheel cross-section. Like Isamu pointed out in post # 1. Generally speaking, when people say it's "bad" to have crazy offset, that's not the whole picture.

Undue stress is put on the wheel hubs and studs if the wheel track (the key to this equation) is severely "offset" from what the OE is designed to do. That is, if the factory offset is +42, and you keep the same width wheel and go -42 (for illustrative purposes), then you're putting a lot of stress on the hub and studs. BUT (and here's the key), if wheel offset is increased or decreased dramatically over stock, but the wheel track is kept within relatively reasonable tolerance, then, all things remaining equal, "stress" on the hubs is minimized.

It's all about centrifugal forces and unsprung mass. And while most people think pondering the purchase of "wheels" just to make the car look "good", isn't good enough. A factory wheel and tire combination of 28-28 is average. Add 22" wheels and your 28-lb wheel is now easily 35-40. All that weight has to be spun by both the engine and bore by the hubs. In contrast, going down to an ultra-light wheel (say, 15lbs) with the same tire does wonders both for engine responsiveness, acceleration, fuel efficiency, and, believe it or not, braking.

Offset and alignment have no dependencies on each other. Though, if you go to a wider wheel, factory camber may simply no longer suffice to keep the treads even. FYI.
bumped for awesomeness!
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Nate
Vehicle: 2007/GT/Coupe
BanzaiRunner is on a distinguished road
Still no one knows how far the stock wheel has to come out with a spacer? This would allow you to calculate the offset exactly on any size wheel and how wide that wheel can be is another question that has gone unanswered for years.
BanzaiRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: BIG Jon
Vehicle: 2006eclispeGT
Ghost2006_GT is on a distinguished road
So I got new rims and offset is only 40 vs stock GT of 45 front center caps don't fit cause of axle nuts is that cause of the 5 MM different off set if so how can I fix this thanks
Ghost2006_GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Front caps don't fit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0829_1492132959372.jpg (26.7 KB, 5 views)
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rear center caps fit fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0825_1492132995535.jpg (31.6 KB, 5 views)
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Name: bam
Vehicle: 2006 eclipse gt
bamboost will become famous soon enough
The lower the offset the farther u get away from ur suspension and brakes. Now i wont say my specs but will tell you i have ran a 9.5 and 11in wide wheels +15 offset keep in mind i am bagged to
bamboost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
back, black, board, brake, cars, clearance, drive, flat, handling, mounting, offset, original, rear, tires, wheel, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.