Tires for show or go - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Slip and slide discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2012 Mustang V6 w/PP
j2eclipse is on a distinguished road
Tires for show or go

Do you guys base your tire purchases off of their looks?
Does everyone have like V style directional tread patterns on their 18"+ wheels? I need to get new tires as mine are cupped and to small. I want to get 235/45/18s and am having trouble finding a decent price on some V styled tires, but my buddy is selling a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar's for 500 cash for all 4 with 2000 km on them measuring 9/32's. I think this is a really great deal, but F1's dont look the most attractive.

What do you guys think of this? Go for it for the good tire or get something that offers some show too.

Heres the obvious difference in appearance:

j2eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
theBIGone

Name: Luis
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT-P
SMeclipseGT is just really niceSMeclipseGT is just really niceSMeclipseGT is just really nice
thats what aftermarket wheels are for to offset the ugliness of preformance tires, besides i really dont think ppl notice ur tires haha...
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMeclipseGT View Post
thats what aftermarket wheels are for to offset the ugliness of preformance tires, besides i really dont think ppl notice ur tires haha...
So what are you running?

And I always notice peoples tires, especially from rear view.
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Black Irish

Name: Ross
Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/gs
muscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to allmuscles is a name known to all
go for performance man. Who cares what they look like? i haven't personally walked up to a car and be like o shit this car was sexy till i saw those tires rofl.
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Name: 370z's are pieces of lateral shit
Vehicle: 2012 nissan frontier v6
snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
i haven't personally walked up to a car and be like o shit this car was sexy till i saw those tires rofl.
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
theBIGone

SMeclipseGT is just really niceSMeclipseGT is just really niceSMeclipseGT is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
go for performance man. Who cares what they look like? i haven't personally walked up to a car and be like o shit this car was sexy till i saw those tires rofl.
exactly and im running nitto 555's pretty good others have the same
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMeclipseGT View Post
exactly and im running nitto 555's pretty good others have the same
See, now Nitto 555's both look sweet and are a great performance tire. I just dont have the bills for it.
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
theBIGone

lol yeah i guess haha havent really thought of them as sweet looking they just tires to me
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

Name: Ajdin/Aj
Vehicle: 2011/Eclipse/GS -94Golf 3
STL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really nice
I cant buy ugly tires thats like putting ur nice clean foot into a dirty sock with fungus lol ,

I should make a sticker that says if u like my rims take a look at my tires

http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...er-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHILLY22 View Post
about time u got a signatue lol looks badass...
STL Eclipse 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

STL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really nice
my bad double post

Quote:
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 eclipse gs
xillmakemystandx is on a distinguished road
shit im runnin stock BridgeStone potenzas. yeah there about 250 a tire but i love em
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse GT-SC
joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
man there is probably no more important upgrade then tires...they are the only part of the car that touches the ground. I am trying to find the mag that talks about it, and of course I can't... well the bottom line is that you can have a ton of cool upgrades on your car but if you don't have tires then you simply won't be getting the full potential of those upgrades or your car.

most high-end performance tires "look" cool if that is what you are wanting - to me, a thin profile is the coolest, and everything else looks pretty much the same. I have Falken FK-452s....they feel badass, the look badass, they ARE badass.

I could tell a big difference in performance - responsiveness, grip, etc. what more could you ask for? tires are one place you do not want to skimp.

~347 WHP / ~309 WTQ / ~6 lbs Boost
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

ILl post some of the ones im gona get when I get new rims n u can rate them joey

Quote:
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
theBIGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
man there is probably no more important upgrade then tires...they are the only part of the car that touches the ground. I am trying to find the mag that talks about it, and of course I can't... well the bottom line is that you can have a ton of cool upgrades on your car but if you don't have tires then you simply won't be getting the full potential of those upgrades or your car.

most high-end performance tires "look" cool if that is what you are wanting - to me, a thin profile is the coolest, and everything else looks pretty much the same. I have Falken FK-452s....they feel badass, the look badass, they ARE badass.

I could tell a big difference in performance - responsiveness, grip, etc. what more could you ask for? tires are one place you do not want to skimp.
just like condoms...lol
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I totally agree. But Eagle F1s ARE a great performance tire, they just look like shite I think. Im not trying to skimp, just trying to see if i should take advantage of my buddies great deal hes offering, since they run 330 bucks a tire here brand new, and i can get a like new set for 500 for all 4.
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Name: travis
Vehicle: 08 pathfinder - modded
akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
im partial to BF Goodrich tires, especially the g-force kdw2
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 eclipse gs
xillmakemystandx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
im partial to BF Goodrich tires, especially the g-force kdw2
ehh iffy on those i had em on my car b4 my 4g and i wanna say they were the cause of it being totaled from loss of control
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2eclipse View Post
I totally agree. But Eagle F1s ARE a great performance tire, they just look like shite I think. Im not trying to skimp, just trying to see if i should take advantage of my buddies great deal hes offering, since they run 330 bucks a tire here brand new, and i can get a like new set for 500 for all 4.
Dude what the hell? If the tires are in good shape, with a lot of life left, I say go for it!! Just because they aren't pretty enough for you shouldn't mean anything!! F! tires are great tires! I agree with JoeyB on this... it doesn't matter what you have done to your car, if you don't have the tire to put that power to the ground then you shouldn't of even modded to began with.

I say grab them up and enjoy!

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

This is my favorite one, but it would suck to drive in the snow and rain in these
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

or yokohamas

and bf goodrich

Quote:
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Kirsten
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Mitzgirl06 will become famous soon enough
Honestly, what a tire looks like means jack shit to me other than that it's structurally sound and has good tread. I'll always take a tire that's rated for excellent grip and handling over a "pretty" tire. My life means more to me than how I look. Plus, when have you heard someone go up to a car and say, "nice car, but MAN those are bitchin tires!!!"? I run Nexen's right now. They are awesome for handling and I guess they are pretty enough? Can't really say I ever thought about it.. lol.
Upgrades So Far: Progress Rear Sway, Tein SS Coilovers w/EDFC control, Injen CAI, Custom Interior Painting, Ralliart Eyelids, Debadged, DDM 55w 6000k HID's, Centric Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic Pads, AVIC-X940BT and Many more to come...
Mitzgirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
theBIGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzgirl06 View Post
Honestly, what a tire looks like means jack shit to me other than that it's structurally sound and has good tread. I'll always take a tire that's rated for excellent grip and handling over a "pretty" tire. My life means more to me than how I look. Plus, when have you heard someone go up to a car and say, "nice car, but MAN those are bitchin tires!!!"? I run Nexen's right now. They are awesome for handling and I guess they are pretty enough? Can't really say I ever thought about it.. lol.
exactly and this is coming from a woman right?
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Kirsten
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Mitzgirl06 will become famous soon enough
I am indeed a woman. lol. I'm way OCD about how my ride looks, but as far as tires go? It's all rubber and it all looks the same to me with a good amount of tire black.
Upgrades So Far: Progress Rear Sway, Tein SS Coilovers w/EDFC control, Injen CAI, Custom Interior Painting, Ralliart Eyelids, Debadged, DDM 55w 6000k HID's, Centric Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic Pads, AVIC-X940BT and Many more to come...
Mitzgirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
theBIGone

exactly there u have it, op go for performance
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

I gotta have both

Quote:
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
not gonna lie, this is the dumbest question ever.....

Function over form 100 times out of 100

"Rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"
2nd Ammendment supporter
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse GT-SC
joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
^Clay.....PLEASE stay and don't go......we need you here.......

to any newbs - if you are so new you don't know chaos - bow your head and show some respect, and we might induce him to hang around a little and contribute to the forum like in the good ol' days.....but I doubt it.

~347 WHP / ~309 WTQ / ~6 lbs Boost
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Name: travis
Vehicle: 08 pathfinder - modded
akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

so true.

i actually have bf goodrich super sport a/s on mine because i didnt want to have to switch tires for winter.
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Tournaments Won: 2

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GS
Cedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of light
Man i'm to late to bitch slap some of you hahahaha.... Nitto 555's were great... but way to much road noise for my taste.
Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #29 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 eclipse gt
06v6gt is on a distinguished road
nitto nt05 ftw best performance and looks!!!!
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

I do not agree

Quote:
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Wait... where are you going?

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
Amarillo 4g

Name: Dustin
DustinH is just really niceDustinH is just really niceDustinH is just really nice
Quote:

I agree!
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #33 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GT V6
07gt is on a distinguished road
It all depends what you're gonna use the car for. Eagle F1's I would imagine have shitty treadwear but they probably handle like you're on rails. I had a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's on mine but this time I went for a longer treadwear tire as I don't race as much as DD it so 420 treadwear works for me for commuting. Also, money was an issue. Nexan N5000 btw. Don't look like a high performance tire but they get the job done.
07gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #34 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
The good ones are usually the good looking ones as well which also mean the most expensive but you're going to get what you pay for. I have michline pilots, look cool, 60000 mile warrenty, grip great, great in rain = $1200
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

Some of you are taking this question the wrong way.

I OBVIOUSLY know that I would rather have a great performance tire over a shitty nice looking tire. My original question was whether I should get them cause they are a great performance tire, or spend more money and get a good performance tire which ALSO looks good.

I never said I was going to go to walmart and buy some sweet batmobile labelled tires with flame tread or anything.

Performance is my main concern, i was just wondering if you took into account their styling as well. And I dont think its a stupid question.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

Well for me n a few of my friends we look at the tires looks n pwerformance if they dont look good we wont buy them look at some of the links I posted id say those look good n great performance

Quote:
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #37 (permalink)

Name: Aaron
Vehicle: 2009/Galant/Ralliart
Infliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to all
summer

yoko avid envigor. just got them this summer after the stocks crapped out. very happy so far. and got a 40k mile warranty on them. and yes. a shit load better than the stock good years.

winter

dunlop sp winter sport m3. great snow tires. only slip wen i want them to.

i guess they're good looking tires.. but that isnt why i got them. always go for function.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM   #38 (permalink)
Bats Eat Fruit

Name: Troy
Vehicle: 2008 Sunset Pearl GS
Matched88 is on a distinguished road
i have a family friend that works for continental so i get anything for the cheapest of cheap . but i have the DWS i love them, amazing grip on dry and rain, awesome new tread technology, last a long time and quite decent for performance. shit has to grip the road in water here where i live or i wont get it
Matched88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ding, great deal, show, tire, tires, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.